• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Mechanic Question - 1999 GMC Sonoma

Freshly Minted Georgian!

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
302   0
Reaction score
I keep an old pickup around to haul this or that as needed. It's a stickshift, I drive it very infrequently. Over the weekend the battery was dead so I went out and got a new one. After replacing the battery, with they key in the on position, if I fully depress the clutch the starter engages, engine starts. While driving though, if I fully depress the clutch the starter engages. Since that obviously grinds against the gears on the flywheel it's a problem! Either the starter itself will blow up or worse, the flywheel will be damaged. I found that if I partially depress the clutch pedal I can get it engaged enough to shift gears without triggering the starter. There is obviously a lockout switch on the clutch pedal linkage to prevent the starter from engaging unless the clutch is depressed. That switch much still be working else the starter would ALWAYS be engaged or NEVER be engaged. Not sure where to start on this one though, I'm a bit stumped. Maybe some damaged starter relay somewhere or other electronic control built directly into the starter itself?

Advice appreciated. It's an old truck, it's been reliable but from a value perspective, not really worth extensive repairs. If it's just a relay or a starter, fine. Beyond that I'm afraid I'd have to sling it as a "mechanic's special" or send the old gal to the scrap yard.

It’s either the ignition switch (key switch) or starter solenoid. I would look at the ignition switch first. Clutch switch is working normal prevents starter from engaging if pedal is not pushed down.

It's got 175,xxx miles and I think this is the original starter. I'll spray some contact cleaner in the ignition switch and see if that helps. If there is a contact stuck between start vs on position, when I depress the clutch it attempts to start. That's the simplest diagnostic path I think, see if cleaning the ignition contacts helps. If not I'll pull the starter and bench test it. Either way at this point probably both items could stand to be replaced.

Your ignition switch is stuck in the start position. If the starter was the problem, it would be running all the time, not just when you push the clutch peddle. The ignition switch is located on top of the steering column about half way down. It is operated by a rod from the key cylinder to the switch. It is possible the rod is dragging, and hanging the ignition switch.

Your ignition switch is stuck in the start position. If the starter was the problem, it would be running all the time, not just when you push the clutch peddle. The ignition switch is located on top of the steering column about half way down. It is operated by a rod from the key cylinder to the switch. It is possible the rod is dragging, and hanging the ignition switch.
This

Yes, you're right

When stuff sits it needs to be used.
If it were mine, I'd disconnect the battery and work the switch a few dozen times.

Back
Top Bottom