• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Match Cancellations?

madcow

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
97   0
Reaction score
Have any of your clubs started considering to cancel their local monthly matches due to drop off in participation because of ammo/primer prices?

We've got 90 shooters already signed up for our USPSA match this coming Saturday. I doubt we even consider changing up much regarding our matches this year.

People that have been through this before have enough ammo / primers to probably keep their normal pace for a few years. It'll be harder on people who are just getting into competition shooting or those that only bought ammo before rolling out to a match.

Some of the weekly matches might have to get creative... go bi-monthly or reduced round counts... but as Rob said... those that have shot matches for a while are prepared to weather a storm like this... with at least 24 months of ammo on hand.

We have 2 clubs in our area, 1 has decided to postpone USPSA matches till spring. Those that reload, shoot regularly and shoot the weekly circuit are stocked up. The new shooters to the sport that only shot factory ammo, are starting to drop off as their supply disappears.

Steel Challenge seeing a lot more rimfire signups, with the centerfire crowd switching over to conserve ammo and primers.

Our NRL22 matches are starting to pick up more shooters. With a round count of 60rds per match, most can afford it even at the prices 22lr is going for right now.

Not that I've heard. They are trying to keep the round count to 50 per match though, which I appreciate.
We have talked at taking our USPSA matches to 100rds per match, has not gained traction yet, but it might once shooter participation drops off below the break even point.

My bowling pin crowd is all on .22s now. Last time I shot with them, some were still running centerfire, but as soon as they'd miss (and thus blown their good time for the round), they'd stop shooting to conserve ammo.

They've gotten good with the .22s... I hear that the winner ran a 5-pin average the other night of 1.37 seconds. Average, mind you. I think second place averaged 1.55.

We have 2 clubs in our area, 1 has decided to postpone USPSA matches till spring. Those that reload, shoot regularly and shoot the weekly circuit are stocked up. The new shooters to the sport that only shot factory ammo, are starting to drop off as their supply disappears.

Steel Challenge seeing a lot more rimfire signups, with the centerfire crowd switching over to conserve ammo and primers.

Our NRL22 matches are starting to pick up more shooters. With a round count of 60rds per match, most can afford it even at the prices 22lr is going for right now.

Yeah probably 70% of our last steel challenge match were rimfire divisions.

We've got 90 shooters already signed up for our USPSA match this coming Saturday. I doubt we even consider changing up much regarding our matches this year.

People that have been through this before have enough ammo / primers to probably keep their normal pace for a few years. It'll be harder on people who are just getting into competition shooting or those that only bought ammo before rolling out to a match.
Sounds like you guys are full then. I was thinking about coming out and shooting.

Back
Top Bottom