• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Marlin bullseye

MuleShoe MuleShoe was kind enough to send a replacement bullseye for my rifle. Thanks again, my friend.

This weekend I worked on the installation. I was nervous about getting started, mainly because I only refinished the stock a few years ago. I just hate tearing apart something that's already nice.

Someone in the past had attached a sling mount to the stock, putting wood screw through the bullseye. The original drilled hole was still intact, though damaged a good bit around the edges. Not surprisingly the new bullseye is made larger, intended to be shaved down to fit. I don't know how this is normally accomplished, but I chose to spin the part with a drill motor, using wood chisel to shave it down.

20210331_233139.jpg

I worked with one end until I could get it to fit, then tapered it out to the other end to create a tight fit. Happy with the size, I addeda little glue to the hole and seated it with a small mallet.

These pics also show how the top edges of the hole were damaged.

20210331_233553.jpg
20210331_233706.jpg

Block sanded flush, and wood filler added. This filler is going to be too light for a good color match. I'll pick up something else today and try again.

20210401_212324.jpg
20210402_212905.jpg

20210402_213352.jpg

I take a old stock that matches and sand off a small pile of dust and mix with super glue and fill in hole sand down smooth and most times perfect match .

Good approach. I thought about taking some material from under the butt pad and trying the same thing. What I'm trying first - sanding the area while the putty is about 80% dry. The sanding dust sticks to the top layer of putty and blends the color. It's a gamble, but it's starting to look better.

20210406_150540.jpg

I take a old stock that matches and sand off a small pile of dust and mix with super glue and fill in hole sand down smooth and most times perfect match .

Because you mentioned it, I'm trying again. I just drilled a little wood dust out of the end of the stock, mixed it with the darker putty, and refilled the problem areas. Now we wait.

I made the final repair with sawdust and wood glue. With proper sanding and now four coats of TruOil, It's looking good as it can for a repair. I'll do at least four more coats before I'm ready to call it complete.

20210406_161622.jpg
20210407_224758.jpg

Back
Top Bottom