• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Man, I love to reload!

Reloading in itself has not really changed that much. The fooling has gotten more precise and expensive but really just make the job faster or in some cases less tedious -- generally speaking it does not make better amm -- the bench rest fraternity will dispute that but for the most of us it is true -- Satisfactory ammo can be made with rudimentary tooling. --

There have been a few tries at replacing brass or different concepts like the tround, the daisy "volcanic" even seems like there was an electric primer, noe really caught on. Plastic shotshell did though --
Have not tried the coated boolits, might buy a few to see how they work --

Actually the dems may make reloading difficult by taxing and regulating transport of powders and primers impossible -- the right to weapons has been fairly well established but not amm -- sneaky bastards --
Already lead is becoming scarce and expensive -- They used the EPA to accomplish that-
However a simple lead pot, dipper, moulds, and hand sizer would be a good investment --
best o luck --

Question for everybody. Been casting for years. Been powder coating for about a year. When powder coating specifically do you still use hard cast lead or just use plain soft lead since it's going to be coated anyway? I've been using hard lead simply because that's what I've had ingots of sitting around. I'm guessing though with soft lead and powder coat it should still be almost as clean as jacketed. Anyone do any testing on this?

<...>It's all C26000 brass from a metallurgy perspective. If OD is standardized, if you have two cases of different weight that difference can only attribute to thickness. Thicker equals smaller internal volume.

Sounds like more sage advice to me. Had to look up the standard you mentioned, C26000 brass. I hadn’t seen a reference to that before. http://www.metalreference.com/CU_260.html is the first likely reference I found, adds to the store. Also, given the homogeniety of the brass, which I would probably trust more than my ability to measure it, sizing then separating by weight sounds like a good plan. I think I learn more every time I read about reloading...now to get set up and go

Anyone do any jacketed swaging -- It occurs tome that I have not seen any mention of swaging on odt --
I acquired a mish mash of tooling a few years ago but have not tried it yet --
There were some 22cal boolits in the lot made using 22rf cases as jackets-- they shot well.-Life has gotten in the wayof doing much more with this project -
A couple of Fred Huntingtons (RCBS) cannon breech dies were in the lot--made during wwii or soon after --

41.jpg

Shoot I loaded these before breakfast, late start at work today. With the Speer rebate if you buy 2,900 of their 210gr Deep curl HPs they're only 14.5¢ ea. I picked these up at Smallwood firearms he only had 155's for .40/10!s I never swaged jacketed either.. He said he thought they were Remingtons? 200gr Soft HP. They grew .013" consistently in length. Was gonna see if they're worth it for some 10mm hunting/thumper loads.. and the $420 for the speers. I Freakin' Love reloading!

*Pavo I had to re-read your post to realize you meant swaging on jackets to boolits... I have looked into jacket swaging before and it totally seems like a bit of work. I would just as well gas check and/or coat em. Its a pretty cool concept and the materials can be had for free.. but then again you can make gas checks from cans right?

Back
Top Bottom