• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Man, I love to reload!

I want to start reloading.I need some help with what to buy.I will load only 308 cases and 150 or 165 grain bullets for deer hunting.4064 powder and I think large rifle primers.I say those items from reading some reloading articles.What would get me started.What single stage press?
RCBS rockchucker for the win. I've had the same one for 40 years and have loaded thousands of rounds.
.32acp up to .30-06. Still does a outstanding job.
But ,( and it is hard for me to say this), you will spend more than what you will save over buying new loads. On the other hand you will gain a hobby, satisfaction from rolling your own and you can really dial in a great load(s) for your rifle.
There are quite a few minor tools necessary to make great loads. The press,dies and a decent scale would be minimum.
I've collected a lot of tools,manuals and knowledge over the years and I still learn and enjoy reloading.
I'd be happy to give recommendations or help you get going but, I'm sure you know it does involve spending time at it.

21st century reloading has primer pocket plugs for large and small it's like $37 for both shipped.. Well worth it. Sorting batches by internal case volume really does help tighten up SD's & ES's which has led to much tighter groups in my experience.. Also helps when working with a new or specific brass manufacture when working up loads via quickload for use of different powders for pressures, velocities, and COL.. also a Hornady 14 piece comparator set and OAL guage can both be had for $83 for getting any projectile right where you want em'.. For $120 I was able to take pulldown powders,pulldown bullets, once fired/range pick up brass, and shoot consistent sub-moa groups out of 18" 1:10 .308 BCA barrels on my DB10's.. These are 17₵ a round .308 loads! Lyman Turrent Press, Lee Dies, Charge master weighed.. better components and equipment for me and what I shoot, not necessary. But you can get into concentricity measuring, use a Forster Co-Ax or Mec Marksman single stage press with redding dies.. I won't get into necking, I think that **** is pointless.. not a day goes by that you shouldn't learn something new.. but a few can go by when not willing to work with what you have. Sometimes its a trade off of wasted components vs. equipment costs. These are just my opinions & experiences.. still in the end getting any gun or load to be accurate takes time. Best of luck in competition, I wish I had the time.. Happy & Safe Loading to you!

I mainly shoot 4 shot groups 6 x 3" circles to a sheet of copy paper.. 25rd pmags :)

Attachments

• SUB01.jpg
    SUB01.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 59
  • SUB02.jpg
    SUB02.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 56
  • SUB03.jpg
    SUB03.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 53
I just finished up another 50 rounds for a competition next weekend. I swear I learn something new every time I load! I think I’m gonna start measuring the internal volume of my cases. I’m still perfecting my Creedmoor load. 147 ELD-M over 41g of H4350. View attachment 2456456

$100 worth of Match Ammo for a third of the price and the enjoyment of wringing the best accuracy out of your smokepole.

I want to start reloading.I need some help with what to buy.I will load only 308 cases and 150 or 165 grain bullets for deer hunting.4064 powder and I think large rifle primers.I say those items from reading some reloading articles.What would get me started.What single stage press?

This would be your cheapest option: https://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precisio...=lee+classic+loader+308&qid=1579785273&sr=8-1

along with some primers and powder, as long as you are using the same brass that came out of your bolt gun.

Pavo that's impressive! Have you taken any long periods of time off? I bet you've seen lots of different equipment and components come and go. This day in age I have no clue what it would be like that far into the future for me.. I've read that some companies are working on polymer cases and other futuristic ideas. Who knows though if the democrats have it their way reloading would certainly be the only way to go. I need to get into casting, a good bit cheaper and all sorts of options. Have you ever tried powder coating your cast boolits?

Back
Top Bottom