• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

make an 870 SBS into Serbu?

steviesterno

Default rank <3500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
71   0
Reaction score
I did the SBS thing for my first gun, a remington 870, figuring I'll never sell it anyway. As they come you can only cut them back to about 12" barrels before you run into the tube and stuff.
And while fun, it's not exactly portable with it's magpul stock on there.

I'm curious if it's worthwhile or even possible to have the tube shortened and make it more into a Serbu style gun. Yes I know it will be giving up a few rounds and the stock but the idea of a small but powerful 12 gauge is certainly interesting.

Trying to decide if this is worth it before I have a stevens 311 cut down to like 6". that's obviously short but I would need another stamp and to deal with the process. Plus only 2 shots.

I would buy a used gun and use as donor parts set. Cut the donor parts and then you have best of both worlds. The Serbu is an AOW so you can’t put a stock on it. This way you have options

If I had a Serbu super shorty or any similar micro-sized pump action shotgun/firearm, I would want to use Aguila mini shotshells so that I could fit more of those short cartridges into the tubular magazine.

So, if I were in your shoes I would research and experiment to see whether my Remington 870 would feed those Aguila mini shells!

If it doesn't feed 'em reliably from the factory, then is there an aftermarket lifter kit that you can change out some of the Remington parts and get reliable feeding of the short shells?

Or, can you buy another brand of shotgun to turn into a Super Shorty?
Will the Winchester 1200 series feed mini shells reliably?
I know the Mossberg 500 family of shotguns will not, from the factory standard configuration, but there are aftermarket parts available that you can install to make it work with them.

Cotton Branch can do what your wanting to do but it will require another stamp. Your approved F1/F4 was for a set barrel length 12" or whatever you put down and a OAL. Going below that would constitute a new stamp.

Do I agree with it no.
is it stupid. yes

Also the 870 will not be as reliable with mini shells like the Mossberg's with the adapters.

And on another note I have a mossberg AOW and when using mini shells you only pick up 1 more extra round in capacity. Not really worth it IMO.

I say leave it like it is and move on to something else. You could once buy the mossberg AOW like I have for $500. I think they have since went up in price.

Door breacher lol maybe I dont plan I doing any of that. It is great for blasting snakes and making grins on the range trying to hit skeet.

Gave me excuse to get it out and shoot it.

Attachments

• ECD3198C-218E-4072-B107-73F52521DAF0.jpeg
    ECD3198C-218E-4072-B107-73F52521DAF0.jpeg
    391.1 KB · Views: 33
Back
Top Bottom