• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Major frustration after deer down this morning

Always cut mine up myself. Glad I did when I was eating it. I could chew it. I did not gut the deer. Skin the back and legs, cut out back strap, remove quaters, box of salt, bag of ice in the cooler. Done. Takes bout 20 mins

Do the processors make enough to remain open?
If their turn around is fast and their product is good they have no problem.

A lot of people can skin , gut , quarter , bleed out and then wrap their deer meat and freeze it. You can take the frozen deer meat to a processor in your cooler after you have called and confirmed they have room. We take our frozen deer meat to a processor 1 1/2 hours away because of the quality sausage they make.

If their turn around is fast and their product is good they have no problem.

A lot of people can skin , gut , quarter , bleed out and then wrap their deer meat and freeze it. You can take the frozen deer meat to a processor in your cooler after you have called and confirmed they have room. We take our frozen deer meat to a processor 1 1/2 hours away because of the quality sausage they make.
Never thought about that. Nice

I use Skip Bonds in Royston. In the last couple of years, his freezer has gotten full on numerous weekends. His prices have gone up but are still reasonable. He does post on Facebook if his freezer is full. Makes it easier to plan ahead.

I think there are simply fewer processors in business.
That is true in my area Northeast ga went out Biz couple years ago couldn,t keep help another one I know Thompsons he had nasty D_divorce had sell all his **&&^ pay off ex wife

Always cut mine up myself. Glad I did when I was eating it. I could chew it. I did not gut the deer. Skin the back and legs, cut out back strap, remove quaters, box of salt, bag of ice in the cooler. Done. Takes bout 20 mins

Care to share your technique?

I have heard of this happening in other areas (coolers closing down and others getting full). I use Lawson's in Waco. I took a doe to them in November of last year and they were full. To curtail the problem, the owner rented refrigerator trucks and began storing deer in them on the property. When things slowed down, he returned the trucks to wherever he got them and that was that. As long as Lawson's is open, I won't take my deer anywhere else. Glad you got one Adam, and sorry to hear about your troubles finding a spot to take him.

Back
Top Bottom