• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Mag Extensions vs Longer Magizine

Winterborne

Default rank <1500 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
34   0
Reaction score
OK..for years on CZ 75 Compacts, PCR or P-01 I have used full size higher capacity mags over extensions as back ups.

Is it really just looks vs function.

Glocks are the prime examples of this with all the compact double stacks it is just cheaper to buy or use your G17 mags as back ups.

I will admit I dig the looks of a nice base extension but a well made support sleeve to fill the gap helps with the looks on a higher capacity mag.

Mag, base plate extension plus new spring..you can buy four magazines almost for the same money.

Also... I have had really good luck with the ETS mags.
Not indestructible but decently sturdy and have survived some stuff that would trash a metal magazine.

What are your thoughts ?

I was doing some research on the kriss mag extension for a 10mm glock 40. Some reviews were positive some were negative. I ended up getting a couple sgm 30 rounders which also got good reviews for less $$ than the mag extensions and require no work to get them running. They might not look as attractive but 30 rounds of 10mm out of a glockzilla is impressive in it's own rights ;)

I was just referencing carry pistol back up magazines.

You do have to.make concessions for PCC but on your daily carry I don't think many people use 33 rounders for their G19 mag change.

I always prefer to carry magazines that were designed for the capacity you want to put in them. It "feels" like they should be more reliable, but I have no experience with mag extensions, except the ones for shotguns.

I carry a G19, and all my backup mags are G17 "full size" mags. I figure if it gets bad enough to go for the backup mag then looks be damned. I don't carry 33 rounders, because they're too hard to conceal and make the pistol unwieldy. If I remotely thought I needed a 33 rounder to go someplace I just wouldn't go to that place, or would carry an AR.

Using a longer mag can lead to over-insertion problems in some brands. Also, on guns with shorter grips, it can push or pull the mag to an unintended angle as well (usually pushing the front of the mag down and forward) which can cause feeding issues.

For a small carry gun I always use the extended 'collar' that work with the larger mags. It prevents problems and makes it easier to grip. If you can fit your hand completely on the grip and not touch the mag, and it won't over-insert, I can't see anything wrong with a 'naked' mag though.

I got turned off of the baseplate extensions a few years ago when I dropped a loaded G17 mag with an extension and the baseplate shot off and all the rounds ejected out of the bottom like a pez dispenser.

Back
Top Bottom