• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Made a Jeep door rack for the garage wall

jeepnuts

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Rockcrawlin’ Toyota Dude
141   0
Reaction score
Wanted to hang my Jeep doors during the summer months so they’re up out of the way and I don’t have to move them to get to things. I also didn’t want to give up any storage space.

This is what I came up with. It’s built from materials I had at the house. I already had the wood, the steel, and the storage hooks. The only part I had to buy was the 3/8” ID steel tube to make the female side of the hinges. That part was $9.

this is my drawing of how I planned to get the door hinge out far enough for the door to hang straight. The door is shy of 5” thick including the grab handle on the inside. This setup gets the centerline of the hinge 5” away from the wall. The base for the hinge is 2”x1/8” flat stock.

5F159A51-D960-4B56-B0C6-7B2F8277AEF0.jpeg

Making the hinge part here

C66F086D-EA49-469A-BE4B-FC9DC3D98FAA.jpeg

header board hung on the wall. Used spax and ran a couple into each stud. Drilled 18 holes in the hinge assembly and bolted that to the header board.

3DBBD318-567D-40D7-BBD1-73DC031D357E.jpeg

Closer shot of how the doors slide into the receivers.

E9950C66-B479-40AA-A24E-1B29D9E6612E.jpeg

space utilized more efficiently by hanging cords over the doors on the big hooks
7B58CFF5-FC1A-41B8-ABD4-BBBD1642A6D5.jpeg

And when the doors aren’t being stored, the space isn’t wasted. You don’t even know the door rack is there.
F82E4F1B-F643-430E-A5E0-8609DBCAD5DB.jpeg

That's a better Idea than I had. I bought a couple of sets of CJ hinges at swap meet, but I'm liking how you did it. I run full doors in the winter and YJ hard bottoms and TJ soft tops in the winter. This is the only way that the half hard door and soft top fit my CJ top correctly.

I might pick up a set of CJ two piece soft doors this year so they fit in the back just in case the clouds get angry while out on a ride. Regardless of the type of Jeep door, you sir have it figure out. :yo:

I’m storing mine in the floor up against my roll around tool cart on a packing blanket. It sucks to say the least. Looks like I’ll be picking up some steel here soon. Any chance you could share your measurements to help a brother out?? ;););)
My door pins were 3/8” so I picked up one foot of 3/8” ID steel tube from eBay and that’s what the female part of the hinge is made of. All the other steel was 2” flat stock. The hinge spacing was just under 13” but I made my hinges 13” apart and it worked fine. The doors hang right at 36” long. The drawing for the bracket on the header is in the first post let me know what else you need.

If I had to do it over again I would probably use a thicker wall tube for the hinges because I had some warping during welding and they tightened up a bit. They went from a perfect fit to a snug fit. I ran a 3/8” drill bit through it to clean it back up but next time I’ll find a thicker wall tubing for the female part of the hinge. Or maybe just pick up some actual hinges and use them.

E75DCA54-BC38-41CB-A577-8D4CA71010A0.jpeg

That's a better Idea than I had. I bought a couple of sets of CJ hinges at swap meet, but I'm liking how you did it. I run full doors in the winter and YJ hard bottoms and TJ soft tops in the winter. This is the only way that the half hard door and soft top fit my CJ top correctly.

I might pick up a set of CJ two piece soft doors this year so they fit in the back just in case the clouds get angry while out on a ride. Regardless of the type of Jeep door, you sir have it figure out. :yo:
Thanks man!

Back
Top Bottom