• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

M1917 feeding issue

Redclay

Default rank <750 posts Supporter
Frontiersman
77   0
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with M1917's and may know why one won't chamber a round fed from the magazine? It seems like the round is being held up by the bolt face/extractor area and will only make it some of the way into the chamber before it is completely jammed. The round just does not want to slide up flush with the bolt face to be in line to chamber/fire. I thought maybe the extractor was the problem so I tried a new one and I'm still having the same problem. It will close perfectly normal while empty and I know its not a great practice but just to rule things out I tried and it will close on a round if one is dropped in the chamber first. Lastly to add, with the bolt out of the rifle I also can't get a round to slide up onto the bolt face without rotating the extractor out of the way which seems very wrong since the extractor is locked into that position until the bolt is rotated and fully in battery at the end of its travel. Any input would be greatly appreciated as I'm new to the platform and hopefully its something I'm just overlooking.
20210710_183046.jpg
20210710_182946.jpg

Can you take the bolt apart and post some pics? Together,... We Will Make This Bolt Great Again !
This looks to the bolt that can be assembled 180 degrees out. The extractor will be on the wrong side and won't travel far enough to get over the cartridge. If this is the action I'm rememberering, the other side of the bolt has the needed 1/8" more of a groove for the extractor to travel in.

I just read this back to myself and it only sort of makes sense.

In other words, in that first picture, that groove on the bolt face which is above and behind the base of the cartridge, that groove should be under the cartridge.
I'd recommend trying to remove the bolt, rotate the extractor to the other side, reinstall the bolt. If this works do I win?

Nope no case in the chamber. In regards to the extractor orientation, I'm almost certain that there is only one way to properly assemble the bolt and extractor and I have done it a few times on this rifle with two different extractors and watched numerous videos of the correct process. At this point I'm wondering if this was an arsenal rebuild that was given an out of spec bolt and never function checked. I think I could get it to grab a round properly if some material was removed on the bolt face area to allow clearance but I am against permanently modifying the rifle unless it is a last resort. I may just need to take it to someone who is well versed in U.S. military surplus rifles and see what they think is going on (If I can find someone locally who would even know about M1917s). I also thought about calling over to the CMP and seeing if they had ever seen an issue like this on the M1917s but I don't know if they would even discuss it over the phone and they may just want to see the rifle in person before giving any input. As far as I understand this is a controlled feed bolt action design so I would think the round should be fully seated on the bolt face with the extractor engaging it long before it even gets close to fully chambering.
Thanks for the input guys I appreciate it!

Yes. The receiver is marked U.S. Model of 1917 and it is Remington produced. I was wondering if somehow a P14 bolt ended up in there and that's what's causing me issues but after looking at the dimensions of .303, It looks like the rim of the cartridge would be much larger than a .30-06 and comparing a .30-06 to the bolt face it looks like the proper fit. Still not 100% convinced that's not the case but here are some bolt face pics.
Screenshot_20210712-182613_Gallery (2).jpg

Extractor in feeding position
Screenshot_20210712-182602_Gallery (2).jpg

Extractor in firing position

These last two pictures are as far as I can manually push the cartridge up to where it is supposed to sit during feeding with the extractor in its feeding position. It looks to be binding on the extractor's corner and the ramp area by the bolt lug.
Screenshot_20210712-183106_Gallery (2).jpg
Screenshot_20210712-183127_Gallery (2).jpg

Just looked up some pictures of P14 extractors and they look to have much smaller extractor claws so I don't think that is the case.

Back
Top Bottom