• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

M&P 45 shooting low

gamadmex4502

Default rank <4000 posts
ODT Junkie!
116   0
Reaction score
This is my 2nd M&P 45. The first one I received on a trade, and it shot low and a bit to the left. Yes, I'm sure some of that was me. But I could shoot a lot better with some of my other pistols. So I fault the gun. That one got traded. But I picked up another one a while back at a very good price, and I decided to take it to the range last Saturday. Brand new, out of the box it shot about 12" low at 7 yds. I had my buddy check his aim, same result. S&W is having me send it into them. But has anyone else experienced this issue? I did find a few threads discussing this, and it seems like a well known problem.

I have other S&W M&P's in 9mm and 40, and I cannot say that they exhibit this behavior. It just seems quite odd to me.

This is my 2nd M&P 45. The first one I received on a trade, and it shot low and a bit to the left. Yes, I'm sure some of that was me. But I could shoot a lot better with some of my other pistols. So I fault the gun. That one got traded. But I picked up another one a while back at a very good price, and I decided to take it to the range last Saturday. Brand new, out of the box it shot about 12" low at 7 yds. I had my buddy check his aim, same result. S&W is having me send it into them. But has anyone else experienced this issue? I did find a few threads discussing this, and it seems like a well known problem.

I have other S&W M&P's in 9mm and 40, and I cannot say that they exhibit this behavior. It just seems quite odd to me.
That is odd. I had a Springfield XD that seemed off once and I wasn’t the only one. Sold it and bought a Glock and Sig 226.

That is odd. I had a Springfield XD that seemed off once and I wasn’t the only one. Sold it and bought a Glock and Sig 226.

I have 2 XD"s with suppressor sights. They both require some "adjustment" when sighting. But I got them at a very good price shortly after Sandy Hook, and I took the chance, one in 9mm and the other in 45 ACP.

The M&P 45 is really off to the point where it is not something I care to shoot. Stay tuned...

I had the same thing happen to me with my Glock 20 10mm. I took it to Glock in Smyrna and they said nothing was wrong with it. But I knew better so I bought a lone wolf barrel for it and it is dead on now. I forgot to say, I found out it was the barrel before I even took it to Glock. My brother had the same exact gun and I could hit perfect with it, so I switched his barrel with mine and bam it was dead on. I guess the only reason I took it to Glock is to see if they would do anything about it. NOPE

It probably has wrong height of front or rear site,. I've changed a couple of rear sites that were a bit taller that caused that.

I found a couple threads that talked about S&W replacing the front sight with a shorter version. It's almost like the front sight is for suppressors, while the rear sight is for normal shooting.

I found a couple threads that talked about S&W replacing the front sight with a shorter version. It's almost like the front sight is for suppressors, while the rear sight is for normal shooting.
That is understandable, but I don’t think a front sight would cause you to shoot 12 inches low at only 7 yards. But it is worth a try to just get a different front sight and see if it helps.

That is understandable, but I don’t think a front sight would cause you to shoot 12 inches low at only 7 yards. But it is worth a try to just get a different front sight and see if it helps.
You would be surprised at how much difference a front sight of a different height will make at 7 yards

Back
Top Bottom