• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

LS tunning

You will need a wide band oxygen sensor to read A/F ratio. LS2 will need about 22 degree wide open throttle for power. LS1 around 28 degrees. Vengeance Racing or MOE'S shop. You need a professional tuner on a dyno so they can dial in your VE tables. MAF will need to tuned as well. They need a HP tuners suite and Diagnostic program. You need to go down the diagnostic trouble code list and turn off all EGR codes and turn the front two O2 sensors off. That will turn the check engine light off. You can get the full list of DTC off LS1 tech forum. They must have HP tuners though. Finding leak HP and Torque and dialing in AFR is easy. Piece of cake but there is no way around not paying. The Owners of those tuners have to buy credits Jk each car the scan the vin number of. It use to be 100 each car I wouldn't know now probably went up. Or they paid a outrageous being for unlimited credits. Charging money for you car to be downloaded is the only way they re-coupe some of that expense.
With HP tuners you can add timing until the knock sensors start registering then back off a couple degrees. You also have two timing tables one for low octane and one for 91 octane. For all out performance you want to scrub out the low octane table. That way the vehicle is strictly running on 91 octane cable and will give you full power all the time but you have to use 91 octane fuel all the time. The few things that you need done are not very hard but you will have to pay somebody for the credits. And the only real way to scan this and play back the run so that you can see where the high and low spots are, is to have the diagnostics to be able to store that run and go back and make changes and flatten the fuel line out. Then if you have nitrous you have to back off 2° for every 50 horsepower you have. Or you could do it like my setup and order timing tuner that you can program in to shut off and cut on a certain RPM and only it wide open throttle. You can also control the timing as well. It has a proximity switch that one engages subtracts timing and allows the nitrous to kick on at a certain RPM and turn off at a certain RPM. I usually had mine turn on at about 2,800 (do not do not run nitrous below 2500 rpm period ) and then shut off at about 6800 RPM and shift at 7000 RPM. What you want done a simple enough you just got to find somebody that's willing to take the time to do it.
The proper way to tune the engine is to turn the MAF off and then tune while it's on a Dyno with a load. Then after the engine is tuned you have to turn around and tune the MAF. It's a long drawn-out process it takes a long time and it used to cost about a thousand bucks. But if this is going to be a street car or something you want to drive on the street then you need a professional tune done on it. If it's just a race car and you can do simple air fuel ratio and a timing adjustments.

Yes...JR2 performance here in D’ville has kept mine together...we went from 5 pounds to 9.5 pounds of boost on pulley change/tune, and from 535hp to 680 using his knowledge...people make a living with this knowledge, and the drawback with Jacob is, he really is a jack of all trades...so it’s hard to offer labor trades when he can do most anything....why are you running a 3 bar map?

Just like anything else I’ve ever done... spend money to spend money.. my laptop won’t support HP tuners. I needed a 2.0/400ram and got a 1.6/200. I guess it’s cheaper to have joe blow 300$ tune than spend 600 for computer and software.

Yes...JR2 performance here in D’ville has kept mine together...we went from 5 pounds to 9.5 pounds of boost on pulley change/tune, and from 535hp to 680 using his knowledge...people make a living with this knowledge, and the drawback with Jacob is, he really is a jack of all trades...so it’s hard to offer labor trades when he can do most anything....why are you running a 3 bar map?
Intake required an LS 3 MAP and 3 bar is just the max it will read. That doesn’t make a difference a 1 bar and 3 bar. Just need a 3 if you supercharged it or boosted it.

You will need a wide band oxygen sensor to read A/F ratio. LS2 will need about 22 degree wide open throttle for power. LS1 around 28 degrees. Vengeance Racing or MOE'S shop. You need a professional tuner on a dyno so they can dial in your VE tables. MAF will need to tuned as well. They need a HP tuners suite and Diagnostic program. You need to go down the diagnostic trouble code list and turn off all EGR codes and turn the front two O2 sensors off. That will turn the check engine light off. You can get the full list of DTC off LS1 tech forum. They must have HP tuners though. Finding leak HP and Torque and dialing in AFR is easy. Piece of cake but there is no way around not paying. The Owners of those tuners have to buy credits Jk each car the scan the vin number of. It use to be 100 each car I wouldn't know now probably went up. Or they paid a outrageous being for unlimited credits. Charging money for you car to be downloaded is the only way they re-coupe some of that expense.
With HP tuners you can add timing until the knock sensors start registering then back off a couple degrees. You also have two timing tables one for low octane and one for 91 octane. For all out performance you want to scrub out the low octane table. That way the vehicle is strictly running on 91 octane cable and will give you full power all the time but you have to use 91 octane fuel all the time. The few things that you need done are not very hard but you will have to pay somebody for the credits. And the only real way to scan this and play back the run so that you can see where the high and low spots are, is to have the diagnostics to be able to store that run and go back and make changes and flatten the fuel line out. Then if you have nitrous you have to back off 2° for every 50 horsepower you have. Or you could do it like my setup and order timing tuner that you can program in to shut off and cut on a certain RPM and only it wide open throttle. You can also control the timing as well. It has a proximity switch that one engages subtracts timing and allows the nitrous to kick on at a certain RPM and turn off at a certain RPM. I usually had mine turn on at about 2,800 (do not do not run nitrous below 2500 rpm period ) and then shut off at about 6800 RPM and shift at 7000 RPM. What you want done a simple enough you just got to find somebody that's willing to take the time to do it.
The proper way to tune the engine is to turn the MAF off and then tune while it's on a Dyno with a load. Then after the engine is tuned you have to turn around and tune the MAF. It's a long drawn-out process it takes a long time and it used to cost about a thousand bucks. But if this is going to be a street car or something you want to drive on the street then you need a professional tune done on it. If it's just a race car and you can do simple air fuel ratio and a timing adjustments.
Yeah this thing is throwing too much timing and fuel and won’t rev with the 91 octane tune. Put the stock tune in and reset idle position and I can drive it. I’m just going to have to sell a rifle to get this tuned or change it back to stock.

Your timing tables need altering. Best way to set those is set them back to stock and only add max timing in the 3500 to 7000 range the blend the table. If you have a problem with it lurching cruising at low RPM adj. timing up in the top far left portion of the table. That can smooth out the bucking feeling. Remember some of these roller cams can make power from 1800 to 7200 RPM. The lower the lobe separation angle of the cam the quicker it will make power in lower RPM range. It's best just to keep RPM's at 1500 plus when cruising. What is the cut on your camshaft. Mine was 232/234 duration 592/594 lift cut on a 112 LSA. It was a bitch to tune.

Your timing tables need altering. Best way to set those is set them back to stock and only add max timing in the 3500 to 7000 range the blend the table. If you have a problem with it lurching cruising at low RPM adj. timing up in the top far left portion of the table. That can smooth out the bucking feeling. Remember some of these roller cams can make power from 1800 to 7200 RPM. The lower the lobe separation angle of the cam the quicker it will make power in lower RPM range. It's best just to keep RPM's at 1500 plus when cruising. What is the cut on your camshaft. Mine was 232/234 duration 592/594 lift cut on a 112 LSA. It was a ***** to tune.

that’s a solid cam. I’m building an LS3 with 240/240 .625” right now.

It's a beautiful torque curve. It was basically flat from 3000 to 7000 the nitrous really made a big difference. Just taking off easy to preserve the 10 bolt rear end I ran a smidge over 125 trap speed. If I had a 12 bolt, a pair of slicks and could leave the line with nitrous I could dipped into the 10's easy. I had to leave easy and then punch it once I got traction. These LS motors are really miracles of modern engine tech.

Just make sure and run double springs. Too many LS guys think beehive springs will take it. If one spring breaks it's over. You really need the spring pressure to keep the lobes from loosing contact. Plus if the outside spring goes you have the flat spring on the inside to keep the valve off the pistons. I've have had to repair damage from that mistake and it's ugly.

Back
Top Bottom