• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Low country boil

Just remember to keep the temp up...adding all of that at the same time is going to pull the temp down...I look forward to your finished Boil!

Next time I'll invite you over.

View attachment 3051114

Lots of this, ditch the frou frou lobster, scallops, eggs, and use pork link sausage for a little more flavor.
A couple of beers poured in while cooking couldn’t hurt.

I dont eat pork unfortunately, reason why I'm doing beef sausage. The lobster, scallops, and eggs are to differentiate from traditional recipes and to experiment.

Never tried eggs, could be interesting

Just trying something different.

Thanks gentlemen, I'll post pics of the finished product! Next time there is a shoot (ODT gathering) we'll try to do a boil for everyone who shows.

I dont eat pork unfortunately, reason why I'm doing beef sausage. The lobster, scallops, and eggs are to differentiate from traditional recipes and to experiment.

Thanks gentlemen, I'll post pics of the finished product! Next time there is a shoot (ODT gathering) we'll try to do a boil for everyone who shows.
Interesting twist with the scallops, lobsters, and eggs. Like others have said, leave the skrimps for last. I toss them on top and stir them in, then kill the burner. After 3-4 min, I add 5+ pounds of ice and stir thoroughly. Cooling down the mixture causes the seasonings to be pulled into the skrimps. If they cook more than 3-4 minutes, they start getting rubbery.

I'll be *really* curious how the scallops and lobsters turn out! Love those things broiled or grilled!

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

We do it something like this....

7-8 lbs of 31/35 gulf shrimp unpeeled, preferably head on
3 lbs of Conecuh sausage original
3 lbs of Conecuh spicy sausage

5 lbs or so of small new potatoes
12-14 ears of corn broken in half
5-6 sweet onions quartered

2-3 bulbs of garlic, separated and peeled
1 bunch of celery cut into 1 1/2 pieces (including tops)
4-5 lemons quartered
4 or 5 bay leaves
about 3/4 cup of Old bay
1/4 cup of Slap Ya Mama
1/4 cup of black whole pepper corns
3-4 light beer

Use a BIG pot with a BIG burner - you want to be able to keep the temps up when you add ingredients. We use a 44 quart pot and fill it a little over 2/3 full of water.

Add the 3rd group of ingredients to the water and let it boil for 10 minutes
Add potatoes and onions - cook for 10 minutes
Add corn and sausage- cook for 10 minutes
Add shrimp - TURN OFF BURNER, cover and let stew for 5 minutes. Remove cover, stir to be sure shrimp have dispersed, replace cover and let stand another 5 minutes.

If we are doing live crawfish we put them in about 3 minutes after the corn and sausage is added.
This.....suggest finding big new potatoes but cut them in half. They soak up good flavor. No onion.....slimy. Shrimp cook at end in literally 2 mins so be ready to get it out.

Pro tip: never experiment when you’re serving company

I use a handful of salt and a handful of Tony’s. Get the pot boiling & add potatoes - 2 or 3 red potatoes per person. Throw in a few onions, garlic, lemons, whatever you have. Boil 10 minutes. Add sausage @ 1/4 lb. per person - I use Brats cut in 1” pieces, cook 10 minutes then add the corn. 1 half ear per person. Cook the corn 10 minutes then add the shrimp (1/2 lb. per person shell on) 6 or 8 count if you can find them, bring back to a boil and kill the heat. Not sure about the scallops & lobster, I’d likely cook that on the grill. Boiled eggs? Never heard of that. Have plenty of slaw & cocktail sauce. Add Worcester sauce, lemon juice, tobasco & horseradish to bottled cocktail sauce. I gotta go - I’m hungry now.

The boil came out good. Lots of lessons learned Saturday evening. I'll post pics later. Thanks to all for the help. I didnt care for the scallops, they didnt fair well, but still got eaten. The boiled eggs were good, had a little spice to them. Lobsters and crab legs were right on time! No onions next time as they were slimy as stated in an earlier post.

Back
Top Bottom