• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Low country boil

7FAA95A9-58FF-4090-9412-7E49290B076A.jpeg
Brussels sprouts and mushrooms are a must. They always get eaten up.

I'm preparing for my first low country boil tomorrow. I'm going to put large shrimps, snow crab clusters, lobster tails, scallops, red potatoes, sweet corn, boiled eggs, and beef sausage. I'm using Louisiana crab boil seasoning and Old Bay. I'm thinking of adding onions, lemon, and garlic to help give it some flair. Anyone have suggestions or tips are greatly appreciated. Garlic butter will also make an appearance!

I can tell you how my dad did his and it was published in the Journal/Constitution back in the 90’s

water, lemons, salt, pepper, splash of vinegar, red pepper flakes, Cajun seasonings (all to taste). Bring to boil, add potatoes and go 7 minutes, add sausage, bring to boil x7 minutes, add corn, bring to boil 7 minutes. I would add the clusters, boil maybe 2 minutes, then lobster, 2 minutes, then shrimp and scallops, boil 2 minutes. Take it off the heat immediately and let sit for just a bit. Dump it out and eat good! Hush puppies go great with it. Good luck man.

I did it for our church last year, fed about 100. Didn’t do the clusters, scallops, lobster or eggs. The important thing is to bring it back to a boil after adding each thing and start your time then.

Water, halfway of the capacity of the pot you will be using. Rock salt, in my 40qt pot, I put in about 12oz. Lemons, cut in half, squeeze the juice into the pot, toss in the rinds. Add your chosen spice, I prefer Swampfire, but whatever you choose will be fine. Cover the pot. When it begins to boil, turn down the heat slightly, add your potatoes. Size of the potatoes should be the size of a lemon, maybe slightly smaller. Start you timer. Boil softly, for ten minutes. Next add onions, corn, sausage and garlic (break garlic toes apart from the clove) at this point I would also add a bunch of celery (cut bunch in half, toss it in). Boil softly for ten minutes, stirring occasionally.
Might want to boil the lobsters for about 5 minutes, never done them but that sounds about right.
Add seafood. Turn off fire. Cover. Let it sit for 3-5 minutes.
Drain and enjoy!
I have never done boiled eggs in mine, good luck, would love to hear how they turn out.
I have been doing this for 30 years. Sometimes people ask me to put on a boil for them, I love to do that!
If you want, you can add a big bottle of your favorite hot sauce to the boil. It usually freaks folks out, but in a big pot it adds just a little heat.
Good luck! Let us know how it goes!
If you have any questions, just ask!
P.S. Not a Cajun, I'm a Northern Polack!

We do it something like this....

7-8 lbs of 31/35 gulf shrimp unpeeled, preferably head on
3 lbs of Conecuh sausage original
3 lbs of Conecuh spicy sausage

5 lbs or so of small new potatoes
12-14 ears of corn broken in half
5-6 sweet onions quartered

2-3 bulbs of garlic, separated and peeled
1 bunch of celery cut into 1 1/2 pieces (including tops)
4-5 lemons quartered
4 or 5 bay leaves
about 3/4 cup of Old bay
1/4 cup of Slap Ya Mama
1/4 cup of black whole pepper corns
3-4 light beer

Use a BIG pot with a BIG burner - you want to be able to keep the temps up when you add ingredients. We use a 44 quart pot and fill it a little over 2/3 full of water.

Add the 3rd group of ingredients to the water and let it boil for 10 minutes
Add potatoes and onions - cook for 10 minutes
Add corn and sausage- cook for 10 minutes
Add shrimp - TURN OFF BURNER, cover and let stew for 5 minutes. Remove cover, stir to be sure shrimp have dispersed, replace cover and let stand another 5 minutes.

If we are doing live crawfish we put them in about 3 minutes after the corn and sausage is added.

One thing about the Muds, you need to make sure they have purged to get the mud out..I look forward to you endeavor!

Definitely! We take a big cooler, add cold water, stir in a couple of cups of salt, add the bugs, stir them around for a few minutes, pull the plug in the cooler and then hit them with more cold water until the water coming from the drain is clear.

Back
Top Bottom