• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Loose Enfield Stock

Amwat

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
65   0
Reaction score
Hey guy! Recently got an Enfield No.1 MK3 today. So I'm looking it over and the buttock is loose so I tried to take a flathead and turn the screw and it doesn't move. So then I went to the internet and someone was talking about bedding and all kinds of other stuff. Anyone have any recommendations or experience with this?

I don't remember the details but get the stripping instructions online. I don't think you can just tighten it without doing other things first.

You probably have a rifle where the stock screw has been turned so tightly that it's bottomed out and now the when the wood shrinks (it always does over time) the stock is loose.

Pad the stock in a good, solidly mounted vice. You must turn that screw out. Then use a washer (I've seen ALL kinds of things used as washers, even felt) to back the screw head out a little and reattach the stock to the receiver. It should tighten up.

5198OX0FxyL._AC_SY400_.jpg

With a good fitting bit, these do a very good job getting stuck fasteners loose.

Go slow, and try both directions . Get it to start, then keep working till it will turn and come out.

If someone used loctite, you’re in for a bad time. May need to drill the head and slide the stock off, then You can grab it with something that has leverage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If someone used loctite, you’re in for a bad time. May need to drill the head and slide the stock off, then You can grab it with something that has leverage

I won't say that you would never see that but I can tell you in dozens of stock removals I've seen all sorts of booger eating, nitwitted hacks and "fixes", but I haven't encountered LocTite.

I won't say that you would never see that but I can tell you in dozens of stock removals I've seen all sorts of booger eating, nitwitted hacks and "fixes", but I haven't encountered LocTite.

I personally use the pink stuff on everything since I’m always having optics and grips come loose but pink will hold yet be able to be taken apart. Blue and red are not recommended, but people love those two.

Back
Top Bottom