• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking to get a small pond dug. Just need machinery or muscle

Jblue

Default rank <5000 posts
ODT Junkie!
159   1
Reaction score
If anyone has the proper machinery I would love to have a small pond dug in the back yard. DIY, Koi pond size. Something like 5ft across, maybe 2 feet deep at the widest. I am debating renting the equipment from the Casa Depot but think it will be cheaper and better to let someone else make the money and share the beer. Let me know folks im easy to work with.

Unless you have the proper 5 grand in filtration it will turn into a green cesspool. Don't do it man.

I had an 18 by 18 by 5 foot deep pond and it was nothing but a headache.
But...but the man on YouTube...
I was thinking about rigging a pool filter for it, that coupled with good plants and proper fish. 18x18x5 you could’ve had a gator in there. Do you think it’ll be as bad with the 6-by? Or should I just go with dual/oversized filtration?

But...but the man on YouTube...
I was thinking about rigging a pool filter for it, that coupled with good plants and proper fish. 18x18x5 you could’ve had a gator in there. Do you think it’ll be as bad with the 6-by? Or should I just go with dual/oversized filtration?
Definitely oversize everything when it comes to filtration. Sounds like you know what is up. Everyone deserves to have their own experience with a pond. Good luck and look into algae killing machines.

Definitely oversize everything when it comes to filtration. Sounds like you know what is up. Everyone deserves to have their own experience with a pond. Good luck and look into algae killing machines.
Maaaan...that sounds like some sh** my dad would say. "You go on ahead and try it." Haha. Did you have any animals in yours? And by algae machines do you mean like a scrubber or an algae eater?

Maaaan...that sounds like some sh** my dad would say. "You go on ahead and try it." Haha. Did you have any animals in yours? And by algae machines do you mean like a scrubber or an algae eater?
https://www.pondalgaesolutions.com/uvfilters.html

I started out with 12 Koi and ended up with literally 100s of Koi.

Edit; I didn't have the heart to kill any of them by removing them from the pond to help the ecosystem.

There is another way to get rid of algae. By building a top pond with a literal **** ton of plants. The plants will filter out the algae the natural way. Well technically they will eat the nutrients that cause the algae growth.

There is another way to get rid of algae. By building a top pond with a literal **** ton of plants. The plants will filter out the algae the natural way. Well technically they will eat the nutrients that cause the algae growth.
Lord willing that was my plan. And good on you for letting the little koi live. The wife wants lilies and all that jazz. I was going to do a decent half of it with the aquarium planting substrate. Do you know if it's true that more stone = more algae?

Back
Top Bottom