Looking for security camera reviews.

Bass Akwards

Default rank 5000+ posts
Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
48   0
Reaction score
As recent the events and "threats" of the rioters/terrorist coming the suburbs to take what is theirs, I realized that we are not prepared in the intruder detection area.
I live off the beaten path in the suburbs with a long driveway before getting to my house, so I doubt the cowards would actually venture into the dark at night, without the protection of news cameras, and police barricades. But, you never know.
What I found is that I am blind until about 150' from my house or so due to trees, hills, curves and the distance to my road.
I have no cameras so I need them to be my eyes for for these types of situations and just general surveillance.
We do share a common driveway, our neighbors house is between mine and the road, so If possible I would like to go wireless.
I would also like some suggestions on senors that could sound an alert tone and or turn lights such as driveway car tell does but for someone on foot or a bicycle, also deer are definitely a factor around here.

I will also (not bs-ing) be installing a light show controller similar to the ones that you see Christmas lights dancing to music, but controlling overhead and series of randomly placed led strobe lights about midway down the driveway.
My choice of music so far is Welcome to the Jungle, bad company FFDP, and One By Metallica.

Thanks for input.

Don't go wireless they require batteries and are subject to radio interference.!!! With the distances you are going have to deal with I strongly suggest going with a POE Camera system. POE (power over ethernet) is wired cameras powered by your connection to your DVR and switch. I just installed a camera system purchased from GW Security. Rather than using their pre made Cat 5 cables I purchased a 1000 ft role of Cat 5 e cable for $50 on line and custom made my own cables. Your probably thinking I can't do that. It was childs play. The Cat 5e is shielded and can be buried and run underground to most any location. I installed eight 6 megapixel cameras with a 2 TB DVR. Took about 4 hours to make it happen. Now I can monitor my property via my home TV or from my cell phone. The cameras have fixed lenses (so no pan tilt zoom) they can be configured to alarm when there is motion in their zone and advise you via your cell phone.

If you run into a set up problem once you connect all the pieces, GW has great customer service and can set the whole system up online for you at no charge. Just sayin

Don't go wireless they require batteries and are subject to radio interference.!!! With the distances you are going have to deal with I strongly suggest going with a POE Camera system. POE (power over ethernet) is wired cameras powered by your connection to your DVR and switch. I just installed a camera system purchased from GW Security. Rather than using their pre made Cat 5 cables I purchased a 1000 ft role of Cat 5 e cable for $50 on line and custom made my own cables. Your probably thinking I can't do that. It was childs play. The Cat 5e is shielded and can be buried and run underground to most any location. I installed eight 6 megapixel cameras with a 2 TB DVR. Took about 4 hours to make it happen. Now I can monitor my property via my home TV or from my cell phone. The cameras have fixed lenses (so no pan tilt zoom) they can be configured to alarm when there is motion in their zone and advise you via your cell phone.

If you run into a set up problem once you connect all the pieces, GW has great customer service and can set the whole system up online for you at no charge. Just sayin

^^^^This^^^^ I use ARLO and I am very disappointed. Delays in motion detection recording with 10 seconds max recording time. Slow to connect when you want to check in. Storage, longer recording times, and several other necessities are options that you need to pay for.

I do this for a living. Works slow so if you need a general idea or would like a quote at no charge let me know. I do large commercial and residential. I will be working tomorrow on a large project for Harley Davidson in Lithia Springs, so I might not get back to you ASAP.

I do a lot of work in lake arrow head so I’m in canton all the time.

If you want top of the line and distance than nothing better than a wired system as mentioned above.

That being said, you can't just bury CAT5/6... it probably won't last long under those conditions. I think for outdoor use they recommend a plastic conduit, at least that's what I've always seen for underground use.

If you are have the WiFi range then I really like the Ring setup. I've been using them all around the outside of my house for about 5 years now.

I have one area that's in WiFi range but where I don't have power, so I use one of their 'stick up' cameras and the little $30 solar panel they sell to keep it charged and haven't had an issue with it at all.

Be cautious with WiFi for cameras or security systems. It can be jammed easily with equipment bought on amazon.

I use the Wisenet wired system with 6MP cameras covering all approach angles to my home. It can be viewed remotely and it was reasonably priced.

If you do the wired system take extra care with the connections to make them environmentally protected. I also installed a battery back up so even when the power goes down it continues to record.

You could also use trip wired with flares. :-)

If you want top of the line and distance than nothing better than a wired system as mentioned above.

That being said, you can't just bury CAT5/6... it probably won't last long under those conditions. I think for outdoor use they recommend a plastic conduit, at least that's what I've always seen for underground use.

If you are have the WiFi range then I really like the Ring setup. I've been using them all around the outside of my house for about 5 years now.

I have one area that's in WiFi range but where I don't have power, so I use one of their 'stick up' cameras and the little $30 solar panel they sell to keep it charged and haven't had an issue with it at all.
They make direct bury cat6 and cat5e, but it’s not $50 a box.

Back
Top Bottom