• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking for recommendations for GPS locator

Bryan

Default rank <4000 posts
ODT Junkie!
184   0
Reaction score
I am doing more solo hiking and paddling. I would like to have a GPS locator that can be monitored with and APP. Dose anyone use one they like?

Thanks
Bryan

I am familiar with the locator beacons, They are for emergency use only and send a sos to an orbiting satellite and include your gps location. You pay for the rescue effort (can be thousands of dollars before your helicopter ride).

Those locators (ACR brand is what I am familiar with) are not real expensive, it is using it that will cost you.

To get personal tracking data available will require a subscription service as well as a cell signal (not real available on deep woods treks) or a sat phone based transmitter (real expensive to buy and use).

I sold similar equipment at one time and dropped the line as none of my customers wanted to pay what it costs to have that level of connectivity for their hobby..

The one way beacons are the best buy from an insurance standpoint, and they work the world over, they can save your life.

The types that can be contacted by a 3rd party for following I know very little about, other than they exist in cell based and sat based versions.

Back
Top Bottom