• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking for input on entry level Fish finders

Cadcom

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
505   0
Reaction score
I'm looking to add a fish finder to my electric only reservoir boat soon. Just looking for something to help pinpoint fish in local lakes an ponds. GPS is not that big of a deal and not a requirement. Anyone have any experience with these? Other recommendations in the same price range?

Lowrance Hook2 4x
Garmin Striker 4
Hummingbird PiranhaMax 4 or DI?

All are around $100 - $150 bucks.

I'm looking to add a fish finder to my electric only reservoir boat soon. Just looking for something to help pinpoint fish in local lakes an ponds. GPS is not that big of a deal and not a requirement. Anyone have any experience with these? Other recommendations in the same price range?

Lowrance Hook2 4x
Garmin Striker 4
Hummingbird PiranhaMax 4 or DI?

All are around $100 - $150 bucks.

I owned the Hook2 x4 and used it twice weekly for 6 months in our electric only reservoirs. It is a basic fish finder and I wasn’t impressed. Side by side with a buddy who has more advanced electronics it was amazing at the difference. I sold it and upgraded to a Hook7 Reveal Triple Shot and am actually testing it out for the first time today. Can give a report later if you want. Good luck, lots of them out there.

I owned the Hook2 x4 and used it twice weekly for 6 months in our electric only reservoirs. It is a basic fish finder and I wasn’t impressed. Side by side with a buddy who has more advanced electronics it was amazing at the difference. I sold it and upgraded to a Hook7 Reveal Triple Shot and am actually testing it out for the first time today. Can give a report later if you want. Good luck, lots of them out there.

I “should think” I’m ok with the basic features. But I would like to hear more about what you like about the more advanced units.

I “should think” I’m ok with the basic features. But I would like to hear more about what you like about the more advanced units.
Sure, sorry for the delay.

I went out yesterday to Hard Labor Creek Reservoir. Only was out there 4 hours, wind was brutal.

First impression is that it’s much more usable. The larger screen is a definite bonus. It’s much easier to read and shows more detail. Water temp, speed and depth are accurate. On my Hook2x4, temp was off by 15-20 degrees regularly and shallower depths by 2-3 feet. This unit has Side Imaging out to 100’, down imaging and sonar. You can make split screens however you like. I had it set to sonar/side imaging and it was pretty impressive. You can see logs, blow downs, etc. which makes seeing the fishing so much better. The Hook2 only had sonar so the fish or structure have to be directly under the transducer to see.

I’m going again on Saturday to try it again to be ready for spring. All in all, I’m very satisfied. I went back and forth in my head but it went on sale for $299 I think and I’m glad I picked it up! If you want, I can post some real use pics if I’m able to go on Saturday.

Edit: it also has GPS, as the Hook2 but it has an SD card slot you can store your waypoints for each lake.

Entry level
51avwzR+1ZL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Unless you have degree from MIT stay away from Simrad. I use Garmin for fresh and saltwater. It is about as idiot proof as you can get. Not to assume you're not a rocket scientist...I just know I'm not. Good luck to you. JT

Back
Top Bottom