• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking for guidance on handgun components for sale

87KJH

Default rank <2500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
47   0
Reaction score
Reaching out to those who reload handgun rounds for your thoughts.

I recently traded for a lot which included both shotgun and handgun components.
I load many shotgun shells per season so I will use the shotgun components very quickly. I do not load any handgun caliber but felt sure there would be interest in handgun components with the given shortage. I checked the prices of the handgun components on several on line retailers like Powder Valley and Graf for average retail prices when they come in stock. I then listed the lot for 1/2 of the retail price. For the two weeks the ad ran it received 1 response for a trade value of less than 1/20 of retail value. I politely declined as it would have cost more in fuel to meet than the trade value of the item offered.

My question for those who reload handgun rounds, is the lack of interest due to individuals wanting specific brand components or only wanting large quantities? Do you only load one or two calibers? I understand location is a factor, but I am relatively near a major metropolitan area. What other factors determine if components are a good value?

Coming from the shotgun world, If I listed lead shot and wads for 1/2 price my phone would ring immediately. If I listed commercial ammo for 1/2 of retail, my phone would be ringing off the hook.

What is different about handgun components?
What am I missing?

You didn't say what caliber your stuff is. It's possible you have unpopular caliber components or it's something so common the demand has been met. Sometimes even half retail just is too much. List your stuff on ebay then you'll get the best offers. You can't post powders or Primers.

I looked at your primer ad and the 223 ad.

You asked for thoughts, here are mine:

The issue is that most of us believe that these things will go down in price as things return to normal. Primers were $40/1000 and Russian 223 was $4.50/20 just a year or so ago. Anybody paying more than 2x last year’s prices has their reasons, but most of us do not share the same concerns. 7.62x39 is already starting to show up at Academy here in Newnan. I imagine prices will still be higher than a year ago for a while longer, but as demand drops .....And, It will drop, either due to undesirable regulation, or due to a calming of fears. Either way, demand will drop just as it did when Obama left office, and Clinton before him.

You’ve gotta have the perfect buyer to be interested in a diverse mix of components.

Otherwise they’ll be interested in a couple of the things at/near your asking price... and the rest they’ll not want to pay much for... because they’re just gonna have to turn around and try to sell it.., or let it sit on a shelf as you’ve been doing.

Thanks for the feedback DirtyJ.. I also received several PM suggesting to relist the ad and be willing to separate the lot. The odds of finding someone who loads that many different calibers within a give geographic area will be challenging.

Thanks for the honest feedback, 1006. The 3rd gen S&W 1006 is on my wish list :-)
Are you seeing any signs of the supply of primers returning to normal any time soon?

A sincere thanks to all for your recommendations. Within a few minutes of the ad being relisted as you suggested, PMs were received asking for more information. You are an awesome group !

I think primers will be few and far between in this country for several more months. Ammo manufactures get them first, when the ammo production catches up, you will see primers for sale again.

Back
Top Bottom