• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking for good camping knife

For a general all-around camp knife, Ka-Bar's Becker BK7 is a hard worker and extremely tough (buy the micarta scales though, the originals aren't great). As others have mentioned, the Mora Companion is an excellent entry level knife, but less suited for very rough work. For something in between, I'd highly recommend the Ka-Bar Jarosz fixed. Nice multi-purpose profile, and suitable for both small and large jobs

I think a Glock field knife (Fm-81 ... is the older FM 78 even still available new?)
is a Fine general purpose fixed blade knife suitable for hiking and camping.
The blade is extraordinarily thick kind of like a machete or meat cleaver, but of course it's only something like a 5.5" inch blade and it doesn't have the weight of a machete for chopping. But you can baton firewood (split wood) with it. The blade is almost impossible to break; I've seen videos of guys pounding these knives into a tree trunk and the climbing the tree like a telephone repair man climbing up the spikes on the side of a utility pole pole.

I have two of them that I use is throwing knives, which means I'm often bouncing them off of tree trunks when they hit sideways or backwards instead of tip-first. Then they'll land on and among rocks and my driveway or my backyard sidewalk. They are tough-- even the polymer handle which by the way is half hollow because these knives only have a half-tang construction.
But there are plenty strong.

The Glock field knives only cost about $30 each,
and come with a stiff polymer clip-on scabbard
you can attach to your belt or to the waistband of some pants that do not have a belt, or any strap on your backpack or other web gear.

06CEC599-3129-4B72-9791-AA5E66CFACAB.jpeg

Hello,
First of all, I sincerely apologize if this is an old thread! But anyway, A good camping knife for your son leaves a very broad scope! Do you want a Handmade knife? If not?lf not and you just want a basic do- it- all camping knife, I recommend getting him either the SCHRADE SCHF45.... Also known as “THE LEROY!” I got one based off of the YOUTUBE videos where a couple of people were testing it and found it to be very useful! I got one and one thing is Certain.... The handle on it is Fantastic! Very gripping handle! It feels wonderful in the hands! And I love that.

THE LEROY is also really balanced and has a very nice high carbon steel blade! I really think SCHRADE hit a home run with their SCHF models.... And especially THE LEROY! And the price for it is very easy on the wallet! I actually think that for what a person gets, this could very easily be legitimately priced within the $250 to $300 range!

Another really good knife that I think would make your son a great camping knife is the KABAR JAROSZ CHOPPA! This great knife is a KABAR and as KABAR KNIVES have Always been very loyal to the USA- AMERICA, it’s an Exceptionally well- made knife! One minor drawback, and this might be Only because I have big hands... But the handle is a bit short! It’s not Too short and it’s still very Usable! And especially for a kid!

Anyway, both of these knives make excellent all- around camping knives! And they have excellent high carbon steel blades and have fantastic prices! Of course this is just my PERSONAL OPINIONS! I bought them mainly because of the high reviews, praises these 2 knives received! But I also bought them because I love how they are made and that I knew I could have some fun using them!!

And that has definitely proven to be VERY TRUE!!
But there are a Ton of very good knives out there that would make an Awesome camping knives; MUELA and AITOR, which are brands of excellent knives made in SPAIN, would also make great camping knives! BUCK KNIVES also are exceptional!

But regardless of the knife you choose for your son, I am POSITIVE that you will choose a very good knife for your son.... And he will really be happy with it!!

If you want to go the custom route, try Dan Moye down in Watkinsville. Good friend of mine and makes a solid knife several excellent designs.

Back
Top Bottom