• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking for Generator recommendations

Porter Rockwell

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
93   0
Reaction score
These recent storms and aftermath have made me considering getting a generator. I cannot afford a full home generator that runs automatically on natural gas. I'm looking for a generator that can keep my refrigerator, electric stove and furnance going in case the crap hits the fan. Any recommendations?

These recent storms and aftermath have made me considering getting a generator. I cannot afford a full home generator that runs automatically on natural gas. I'm looking for a generator that can keep my refrigerator, electric stove and furnance going in case the crap hits the fan. Any recommendations?

Generac is first choice with me. I had a 4000 watt initially & used several times in the late 90's. I have a 6500 watt, elec start now. When you go over 4000 watts, get elec start as the 6500 is tough to pull. Be sure to have a "cutover box" installed. I would discuss with a trusted electrician before I did anything unless you have experience with electrical use/needs. The generator should be weather protected & not far from your outside 240 volt connection to your home. I have a 12 gallon marine fuel tank, mounted on a rolling frame, that I connect to the fuel system with a diverter valve to feed from either the 7 gallon gen tank or the marine tank. Nothing worse than refueling a hot gen at 3:00 in the morning. Much better with 19 gallons for a long run time. If you want to discuss this further, send me a PM.

I have a generator on a trailer (7.6 kw) that runs on LP. Has its own tank or can hooked up to a big house LP tank. Its a high quality unit that is fully enclosed, electric start( not auto start ) and puts out clean power that won't fry your computers and flat screens. It will not provide enough power for the entire house, but will without hot water heater. You can use it at home, tow it to family in need, deer camp or whatever. It is my backup now, but it can be for sale as I have a diesel unit coming this year.

I have two. One that runs on gas from Home Depot. I just purchased a LP/gas one this year. Since a generator sits for long periods of time to me LP is the way to go so you don't have to worry about the gas going bad or gumming up in the carb. Both work well but I am at the point in life where I want as little upkeep as possible. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom