• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking for career! Decided I want construction or tree climbing!

I don’t know if there are any middle aged tree climbers. I don’t think it is a long time career. THe tree business is a money maker if you’re the owner and have paid off equipment. Learn a trade and you’ll always have work. Che k out HVAC

Thank you for the response sir! I have given it so much thought and so many people told me the same thing cause I am looking for a company that offers excellent benefits and 401k with company match but man it’s so hard finding a job like that in this climate. Hopefully ill find something soon but I threw work is a very dangerous job and don’t think I can handle it Expecially when I get older

Thank you all for the positive responses and excellent advice! Yeah I’m just gonna keeping looking for a trade career or keep trying for a career with excellent benefits and 401k with match , pension. I’m gonna keep trying for a fire job if I’m lucky.

Hey man! Long time no see haha . I’ll look into that for sure cause that’s honestly a realistic career for long term employment.
I posted a reply in your other career thread.

a job with a fire dept would be nice since they work one day and off two days
Every fireman I know has a second job because they have so much time off from the FD

a career climbing trees is not something I’d recommend
It’s dangerous and you’re competing with immigrants both legal and illegal
And that means you’re not going to get paid as much because they will work for less money.

you need to zero in on jobs that have a barrier to entry, to eliminate the immigrants and convicted criminals and people with bad credit Etc. and jobs that have opportunity for advancement.

Walmart has a program where they pretty much cover the cost of your education. You pay $1 a day and they pick up the rest. Part time or full time qualifies you. Trades and construction related classes and degrees are offered.

https://walmart.guildeducation.com/...r_U_Launch&utm_medium=blog&utm_source=walmart

Gain valuable, in-demand skills in as few as 10 months in the following industries:

Industrial and Facilities Maintenance
Electrical
Plumbing
Construction
HVAC/R

Walmart has a program where they pretty much cover the cost of your education. You pay $1 a day and they pick up the rest. Part time or full time qualifies you. Trades and construction related classes and degrees are offered.

https://walmart.guildeducation.com/...r_U_Launch&utm_medium=blog&utm_source=walmart

Thank you sir! I did not know that I’m gonna look Into it for sure!

Gain valuable, in-demand skills in as few as 10 months in the following industries:

Industrial and Facilities Maintenance
Electrical
Plumbing
Construction
HVAC/R

Thank you sir! I did not know that I’m gonna look Into it for sure!

climbing trees YIKES.
Hope you're 5'5" or smaller and under 140 lbs.
You don't typically see average or above average size folks climbing.
and that is one hell of a dangerous job. No thanks. Life is TOO short for that kinda stuff. When you get older, you'll understand. I won't even get on a ladder over 6' now. Too many risks. I'll pay a 24 year old to do it. LOL

I still think HVAC or a plumber is the way to go. Start off with a lower hourly, yeah, you're young so you have to start somewhere ---- but in 4 years, you can get your own license and run the show.

Believe me, 4 years is NOTHING in the grand scheme of things....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
if you're 24 now, you'll be 28 then. And likely another 40 years of working. I don't see many guys over 40 in the trees. I don't see many 40 year old dudes doing hard labor w/construction either. (exceptions to the rule of course).

But what the (blank) do I know. I'm 45 and doing well. But could have been doing SOOOO much better had I known a few more things.

Most tree guys that were good and fast we’re about my size in the 200-220 lb weight class.
Absolute madmen in a tree, bad ass and safe.
I worked with a tree guy that is pushing 60 years old and he still climbs.
He’s a big SOB and weighs about 230 and it roughly 6’4” tall.
Great big man and agile as they come.
This is one dude you definitely would not want to grapple with believe me.
So not all tree guys are little wiry vietnamese looking tree ninjas...lol.

The big dude I worked for told me I would never be a climber.
Haha...only cause he never saw me climb.

He figured it was too
much for a new guy to learn.

I never did learn rigging or anything because I wasn’t looking for a career in trees, Inwas just helping him out but I have since topped a 80’ pine by using a heavy duty deer climbing stand , a long safety rope and body harness.

I took of the branches off on the way up and then topped the tree down in small sections and whittled it down to about 20’ then cut and pulled it away from the building it was next to.
Was very comfy with the platform and the safety hoop on the upper part of the stand.

Back
Top Bottom