• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking for Black bear hunting tips in north Ga.

When the leaves come off the bears live in laurel thickets up in the mountains. Usually in very steep places. I have seen as many as 7 bears come out of one laurel thicket one behind the other all from 200 to 400 lbs. I live up in north ga and have got to watch a ton of bears in these mountains.
Do you have any interest or a place to guide me on a hunt to get one?

Last year I talk to a range while doing a check in hunt and he said you would see them more before October since after it gets colder they don't move as much. I been doing my research and scouting many this year it would pay out

I can't imagine what bitch it would be to drag a bear through the mountains. I'd want a plan to process in place, put in game bags and have several people as you said you had planned. Seems the only way to me. Private property and atv's seem like the ticket. Never had a desire to shoot a bear. But, I saw a meateater episode the other day where he made "bear bacon" and for the first time in my life I was tempted. Looked awesome.

I can't imagine what bitch it would be to drag a bear through the mountains. I'd want a plan to process in place, put in game bags and have several people as you said you had planned. Seems the only way to me. Private property and atv's seem like the ticket. Never had a desire to shoot a bear. But, I saw a meateater episode the other day where he made "bear bacon" and for the first time in my life I was tempted. Looked awesome.
We shot one one time when I was around 15 deep in Dawson forest wma, if time serves me right we shot at around 7:30am, got back to the truck with it almost at dark that evening.... if it wasn’t for the old man that made us a stint type thing with rope he had, wed probably still be dragging that dang thing out.

fun fact: shoot a bear at the top of a mountain and it will roll to the very bottom. All the while your watching thinking dammit.

Do you have any interest or a place to guide me on a hunt to get one?
Any WMA IN north Ga can have bears.
I’ve seen the most in Chattahoochee , Blue ridge, Coopers Creek and Dicks Creek WMA’s.
I don’t hunt Dawson forest due to the amount of total jerk wads that shoot the place up as many game hunts coincide with one another.
Maybe others have been luckier there but I’ve been shot at and near too close for comfort on numerous occasions there.

Any WMA IN north Ga can have bears.
I’ve seen the most in Chattahoochee , Blue ridge, Coopers Creek and Dicks Creek WMA’s.
I don’t hunt Dawson forest due to the amount of total jerk wads that shoot the place up as many game hunts coincide with one another.
Maybe others have been luckier there but I’ve been shot at and near too close for comfort on numerous occasions there.
I grew up hunting Dawson and am very familiar with it, the only reason I hunt it still.

A few years ago a buddy of mine had an arrow hit a tree about 3 feet from his head.

Baiting is illegal and dogs are must but not allowed in a lot of states. Hunters use dogs when allowed. They will find a cent trail and follow it leading you in the right direction. Still it not a garauntee.
There is house down the road about a mile or so and he has a bear fur on his barn for every one he has killed. There is more fur than wood showing. You can tell he has it down to a science. I have been meaning to stop and talk with him for a while now.

Check this

My uncle saved for a year to buy threeBlue Tick Hounds. Trained them for a bit and went out one night. It was colder than a well diggers ass that night. So he gets out opens the cages and the three dogs take off like a bat out of hell just a wulfing away. They ran into the woods so fast my uncle and my father and another friend went into the woods calling for them for about two hours. exhausted from the terrain and freezing cold the decided to go back to the truck. When they got back to the truck to great surprise there were those three dogs laying up under the engine staying warm. LMAO
Those dogs cost him a thousand bucks and weren't worth a plug nickel.

That one of the funniest stories my dad told me that wasn't a dirty plot. I still laugh to this day about that. When I am around him I ask him if he wants to go in on s pair of hound dogs.

Back
Top Bottom