• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking for Black bear hunting tips in north Ga.

If you bow hunt, go to Cohutta WMA. Find a good white oak that is dropping acorns and has bear sign around it. Hunting in the evenings are better for seeing bears. Good luck and have about 7-8 friends on standby in case you kill a biggun.
Firearms for me. I’m gonna plan a trip next year to Blue ridge, Cohutta, or Chattahoochee during an early season buck/bear firearms hunt. I’ve done a lot of reading since I posted and think I may have a very loose grip on what o do.

f72c1f3712622fc7b11fa5dddd37c951.jpg

Hit them with a brand new Ram 2500 truck at 60 mph.

That’s how I got this one Wednesday night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's one thing to shoot a 300+ lbs bear but you better have a good plan on getting him out. It ain't like the flat lands where you drive your truck in a throw'em in the back. I spend a lot of time cutting blowdowns in the Cohuttas and Blue Ridge WMA and I live on the edge of the Rich Mtn Wilderness Area. The WMAs are very rugged, steep and most of the trails are not well marked. I see a lot of bear when I'm out and there are also a lot of wild hogs and coyotes.

I would recommend you come up and camp for a few days during the spring and summer to get familiar with the terrain, the environment and scout out several different areas. Make sure you stay on public land as people up here don't take to kind to trespassers.

It's one thing to shoot a 300+ lbs bear but you better have a good plan on getting him out. It ain't like the flat lands where you drive your truck in a throw'em in the back. I spend a lot of time cutting blowdowns in the Cohuttas and Blue Ridge WMA and I live on the edge of the Rich Mtn Wilderness Area. The WMAs are very rugged, steep and most of the trails are not well marked. I see a lot of bear when I'm out and there are also a lot of wild hogs and coyotes.

I would recommend you come up and camp for a few days during the spring and summer to get familiar with the terrain, the environment and scout out several different areas. Make sure you stay on public land as people up here don't take to kind to trespassers.
Agreed, wise advice. My cousins have killed a few 400 to 500 pounders out in the backwoods in some terribly steep areas that were nothing but laurel thicket that had to be crawled through they were so thick and the only way to get them out of there was in pieces. Better eat your Wheaties when it comes to bear hunting in the mountains.

Yea, I plan on getting up a good group of 5 or 6 guys for the trip next winter. And I’m probably gonna invest in one of those fold up game carts, mainly for deer. Doubt it would hold up a decent sized bear though. I’ve heard of some of those mountiain guys packing tarps and dragging game out on them. Most dudes pack them out a quarter at a time.

I have several bears on my farm north of Dahlonega.
I only see them in daytime in spring when they really hungry and fattening up.
They seem to be almost exclusively nocturnal during fall.

Back
Top Bottom