• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking for a good cooler for hunting

If Pelican is a possibility, and a scuff or a scrape doesn't bother you:

I bought one because of this!

March 13, 2018

It’s more than just a patriotic shout-out or a catchy phrase we like to throw around at parties so people will like us. Bison is proud to produce American-made coolers. Have you ever wondered what we mean by that?

To give you a better idea of the depth of our commitment to made in the USA coolers, follow us on a journey from plastic pellets to the coolers you know and love and every stage in between.

ROTOMOLDED COOLERS MADE IN AMERICA​

Components of our hard coolers come from various vendors in the United States. Without getting too technical (or giving away any trade secrets), walk with us step by step through the process.

The tiny plastic pellets we melt and mold are purchased from a vendor on the West Coast.

The mold in which those pellets are poured at the beginning of our rotomolding process is also made in the USA (our engineering; their production).

The oven that melts the plastic and rotates the mold is located in a production plant in the Rocky Mountains.

Then we pressure inject our proprietary foam to serve as insulation in the coolers. Because the foam is injected at such a high pressure, it can bend a 3/8” steel plates so we use thicker steel to hold the cooler in place to ensure the foam reaches every nook and cranny. The foam itself is sourced from a domestic supplier, too.

Rubber for the feet, latches, and gaskets comes from the Pacific Northwest. So does the hinge rod for the lid. The drain plugs are the product of the Midwest. And our heavy-duty rope handles are made of rope from a 100-year old rope manufacturer with third-generation employees on the East Coast.

Every piece of the process, every step of the way, it’s American made.

THAT’S what we mean when we say made in America coolers.
I got one because they're made in Texas, their reviews at the time put them around the top of the heap, and they represent a good value in comparison with their more expensive competitors that make their products overseas. Not hating on the Philippines but for what Yeti charges they could keep their production in the US.

ETA - For the China stuff, no excuse for people paying those prices at all for Yeti.

How much beer do yall take hunting with you? 145qt coolers and all? Jesus, bunch of drunks. Crawl out of the woods and go to the store every few days like a civilized human being.

I keep my ...sodas in a Twisted Root 20L cooler that I bought off Woot several years ago for like $100. Its a Peti clone and I have beat the T total dog**** out of it. It holds plenty of...sodas for a full day of bushhogging or two days of canoeing.

Back
Top Bottom