• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking at Buying Land; where to start?

Oglethorpe County, straight out 316, first county east of Athens, aprox 1 hour drive from L'ville and 30 minutes from all the Athens restaurants and shopping. Oglethorpe land prices can be found in the $1,500-$1,750 per acre. VERY rural, decent schools. I would suggest to look at property straight out Hwy-72 near Carlton (on oglethorpe county side). For example, same land 2 miles away in Madison County sells for $5,000 per acre.

Thanks. From my little bit of searching it does seem like out 316 is a good place to look. I'll definitely check out Oglethorpe more.

I'm thinking about buying some land. I grew up on 10 rural acres but live in a subdivision now. That's not going to change but I want my kids to have a taste of the kind of life I had. We spend a lot of our weekends at state parks, now we're ready for a more regular place to hangout.

I'm not sure what I want or where to start so I thought ODT might have some suggestions. Right now, I just know that I want to stay within a 90min drive of Lawrenceville and I want enough room for a small pond and to do some shooting. I'd probably park a camper on it and maybe build a clubhouse eventually.

Are there realtors that work big areas like that? Any good websites to check out land or get a feel for prices? Yes, I'm using google too, just wondering if anyone has experience or wisdom to lend.
I'm not sure what kind of money you want to spend or how much land you want. However I'm 1/3 owner of approx. 120 acres in Putnam County. My partners & I have harvested many deer there. the front of the property is perfect for a homestead. The west side is perfect for building a pond or small lake. We have been offered a tremendous amount for standing timber, mostly hardwood & there is a road all the way from front to back. We don't; hunt or camp much anymore & we are of one mind if we can sell it. Prices have come down due to political do-goodism, which has screwed everyone in America but the entitlement class. But we are not going to give it away. It is just about 90 minutes from Lawrenceville. We will not split it up, we've done a lot of shooting there, & never had a problem with the neighbors. If this is too big , no sweat! If you have some good guys to partner with....? :ear:

I'm not sure what kind of money you want to spend or how much land you want. However I'm 1/3 owner of approx. 120 acres in Putnam County. My partners & I have harvested many deer there. the front of the property is perfect for a homestead. The west side is perfect for building a pond or small lake. We have been offered a tremendous amount for standing timber, mostly hardwood & there is a road all the way from front to back. We don't; hunt or camp much anymore & we are of one mind if we can sell it. Prices have come down due to political do-goodism, which has screwed everyone in America but the entitlement class. But we are not going to give it away. It is just about 90 minutes from Lawrenceville. We will not split it up, we've done a lot of shooting there, & never had a problem with the neighbors. If this is too big , no sweat! If you have some good guys to partner with....? :ear:

Too big for me. I'd probably top out at 20 acres.

I think the wife would be happy with a 1/2 acre on a lake. I want some room to move around. LOL, like I said, we're just getting started on the hunt...

I'm thinking about buying some land. I grew up on 10 rural acres but live in a subdivision now. That's not going to change but I want my kids to have a taste of the kind of life I had. We spend a lot of our weekends at state parks, now we're ready for a more regular place to hangout.

I'm not sure what I want or where to start so I thought ODT might have some suggestions. Right now, I just know that I want to stay within a 90min drive of Lawrenceville and I want enough room for a small pond and to do some shooting. I'd probably park a camper on it and maybe build a clubhouse eventually.

Are there realtors that work big areas like that? Any good websites to check out land or get a feel for prices? Yes, I'm using google too, just wondering if anyone has experience or wisdom to lend.

well if you were interested in north ga mtns i have the untimate remote property..selling for a uncle of mine. its 34 ac but he will divide. fronts on the best and the most cleanest pretty creek that I have even seen. I own 20 ac very near his since 1992.. if you saw it and the area you would have what i would call a land orgasam..the property joins the USFS on the back side witch is 20 thousand ac..that joins another 95,000 ac of usfs ..has a very nice fast flowing spring in the center of the tract. the creek orgins in the head of the valley so no houses above or below..full of native trout.big wide fast flowing waters for miles. there is deer turkey wild hogs at times and black bear.the big spring flows off the usfs as well.. up there you can drink right from the springs as long as you get it from the source....I grew up in the mtns..know every inch. used to sell real estate back in the day..i looked for something like that for years for myself before i found it.I can tell you flat out there is nothing else like it..not even in the smokies. big trees hugh waterfalls on the way in..very few private property owners..the whole area is surrounded by the USFS..it lays good with many building sites.the area has no power but we have managed just fine. we run everything on propane and some solar. we have a generator as well..you can have cell service internet and sat TV..only 4 cabins in the entire area and only one full time couple.all the few property owners are very nice folks. nothing ever comes up for sale there.this has never been on the market and is not listed with a realtor..wish i had the extra cash to grab it. its not for everyone but if you want the untimate get away pm me for more info.

well if you were interested in north ga mtns i have the untimate remote property..selling for a uncle of mine. its 34 ac but he will divide. fronts on the best and the most cleanest pretty creek that I have even seen. I own 20 ac very near his since 1992.. if you saw it and the area you would have what i would call a land orgasam..the property joins the USFS on the back side witch is 20 thousand ac..that joins another 95,000 ac of usfs ..has a very nice fast flowing spring in the center of the tract. the creek orgins in the head of the valley so no houses above or below..full of native trout.big wide fast flowing waters for miles. there is deer turkey wild hogs at times and black bear.the big spring flows off the usfs as well.. up there you can drink right from the springs as long as you get it from the source....I grew up in the mtns..know every inch. used to sell real estate back in the day..i looked for something like that for years for myself before i found it.I can tell you flat out there is nothing else like it..not even in the smokies. big trees hugh waterfalls on the way in..very few private property owners..the whole area is surrounded by the USFS..it lays good with many building sites.the area has no power but we have managed just fine. we run everything on propane and some solar. we have a generator as well..you can have cell service internet and sat TV..only 4 cabins in the entire area and only one full time couple.all the few property owners are very nice folks. nothing ever comes up for sale there.this has never been on the market and is not listed with a realtor..wish i had the extra cash to grab it. its not for everyone but if you want the untimate get away pm me for more info.

If or when zesty passes, PM me more info. I'm trying to find something for a friend.

If or when zesty passes, PM me more info. I'm trying to find something for a friend.

I haven't called 'dibs' feel free to look into it. 34 Acres is too much for me and I'll probably wind up further south anyway.

PM inbound just because I'm curious though, Mtn Dan. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom