• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Long term food storage

Something else to keep in mind is calories. Do you want to make sure you’re getting a good carb fat and protein ratio. Carbs and proteins are 4 cal per gram and fats are 9 cal per gram. Survival situation calorie dense foods will really help. Carbs are great source of energy protein helps keep your muscles going and fats are very calorie dense. You need a solid balance of all three. Avocado oil, olive oil are great substitutes for fats. Rice and pasta are great for carbs. Just Have to figure out your long-term proteins source

Something else to keep in mind is calories. Do you want to make sure you’re getting a good carb fat and protein ratio. Carbs and proteins are 4 cal per gram and fats are 9 cal per gram. Survival situation calorie dense foods will really help. Carbs are great source of energy protein helps keep your muscles going and fats are very calorie dense. You need a solid balance of all three. Avocado oil, olive oil are great substitutes for fats. Rice and pasta are great for carbs. Just Have to figure out your long-term proteins source
Canned corned beef and low sodium Spam. No refrigiration needed.

Reactions: dpm
Okay I was doing some reading and I saw that people were either using the vacuum system or they were using some kind of hair tool to seal the bags with oxygen absorbers inside. Now which one is the best is there any difference or major problems with either one of them. Cuz if I start I want to do it right and also why couldn't you store the food and just those Big 5 gallon buckets from home Depot the orange ones and snap on lids is there a difference. I mean they could be bleached out and cleaned or is there something in the construction materials that causes the reaction?

Just a thought on stocking up on MREs. They last a long time (I ate some that were 15 or 20 years old when I was on active duty). There is a variety to the food and it gives you a lot of calories. But, eat them 3 meals a day for more than a couple of days and you are going to be constipated and in bad shape. They taste OK, make your belly full but don't pass on out like they should. Would be really a bad thing to have a family eating MREs and then having to suffer through getting the stuff to pass.

I usually load up on canned soups when the stores run them on bogo. Also any other canned goods we regularly use, if they’ve got a long use by date. Just sit down and make a list of the favorites you normally eat and go from there. Don’t forget cleaning supplies and paper products.

Back
Top Bottom