• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Long term food storage

greg vess

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Elite Idiot
120   1
Reaction score
Well I just ordered my first sample of emergency food. I wanted to get a chance to taste and see what brand I like the best. Someone suggested something Wise. I can't remember the name but I am going to give it a go before I start stocking up. I will probably order a couple more various brands just to make sure the quality is worth the expense.

I think it certainly pays to be prudent and at the very least have sufficient supplies to get by several weeks without going to the store. Six months worth would be much better. There are a lot of avaliable at the store options, the requisite beans and rice, pasta, canned salmon, chicken, beef, tuna. you want to stock up things you can put together a meal with. I try to include things heavy on protein and fat, less so on carbs though I do stock some as it is cheap and easily stored calories. Don’t forget basics, olive or avocado oil, coconut oil, salt, sugar. In my opinion these will be some of the most valuable and hard to get items if things go south.
freeze dried foods are great options for long term as they will last and they can be prepared with little prep, they are expensive. In the short or intermediate term grocery store canned or dry food will work fine.

You’d be surprised on what you can store in a food grade bucket with Mylar bags for long term. Rice, beans, sugar, oats, flour, popcorn... then you can get tuna, canned chicken, and also salted meats.

Prob around 1/4 the price of that space food stuff lol

You’d be surprised on what you can store in a food grade bucket with Mylar bags for long term. Rice, beans, sugar, oats, flour, popcorn... then you can get tuna, canned chicken, and also salted meats.

This is a great way to build a stockpile quickly.

TruPrep TruPrep has the buckets, bags, & oxygen absorbers, FYI for anyone coming to the swap meet on the 22nd.

Well I just ordered my first sample of emergency food. I wanted to get a chance to taste and see what brand I like the best. Someone suggested something Wise. I can't remember the name but I am going to give it a go before I start stocking up. I will probably order a couple more various brands just to make sure the quality is worth the expense.
4Patriots, check this company out.:thumb:

I was thinking of getting a kitchen vacuum system for rice and beans. Its good and cheap. Them just filling up 5 gallon buckets. Thanks for the tips. That ready dehydrated food is expensive as hell. I will still get some to throw on some variety. I never considered sugar and oats but I guess I will need salt and pepper as well. Great I do appreciate the info. I can started on that right away. Just pick some extra Everytime I go to the grocery and put it in storage.

Best thing you can do is go to the grocery store. Canned tomatoes pasta and rice oats all last very long time. lentils are great because you get protein carbs and fats from them. Mentioned above cans of tuna, salmon and chicken. You can get a surprising amount food in a 5 gallon bucket. if you go to Costco you can buy a 20 pound bag of jasmine rice for $25 very hard to beat that. also look at jars of peanut butter. Evaporated milk that’s another good one. A little bit of that in some oats with dehydrate strawberries and you have a decent breakfast.

My outlook is to first get yourself all set to live with everything shut off for 10 days straight. Food, water, power, etc.

Imagine everything goes BOOM. Can you continue more or less "normally" for 10 days? If the answer is yes, then work a month at a time outwards from there in terms of planning. What tools do you need for when the stored food and water runs out? What processes do you need to implement?

The goal is to have everything as normal as possible for the first 10 days of any kind of major incident so you can remain calm and begin implementing your longer term plans right off the bat. You can already begin to establish the new routines you'll need after the 10 days. You'll be WAY AHEAD of everyone else, because you won't be panicking and forgetting what to do. You'll be calm. Very important. Fear is dangerous, and panic is a death sentence.

Back
Top Bottom