• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Long range night competition

ReservoirDawg10

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
406   1
Reaction score
So far, this is in the infancy of planning, but wanting to gauge interest. Looking to put on a nighttime long range competition. Will be held at Gun Site Hills in Lexington, GA with a max distance of 750 yards. No artificial light provided and white light won't be allowed (IR will be). May have some light at the staging area and shooter stages depending on how dark it is strictly for safety concerns. Will be a positional match, but unlike PRS, this will have gear limitations - something to the effect of being limited to a backpack and rear bag (bipod and sling as well of course). The distance obviously won't limit most people's rifles, but the whole being shot at night will limit this to those with decent NV set-ups. Gear management will be tested to a small degree as well. If you know Chief, there will be caliber and speed restrictions.

As far as stages go, expect 8-12 rounds per stage. 90 - 120 second par times. 6 - 8 stages. 100 to 750 yards, with the average engagement being 300 to 600 yards out. Most will be positional and require at least some movement, mainly just a change in position. Limited true prone, but some will be thrown in there as well as modified prone. May have a mover ready as well.

Your rifle must be suppressed.

So, date dependant (sometime this summer), who would be interested? Thinking to set a max shooter count of 8 to keep a small, controllable and safe group, at least for the first go.

Any recommendations are appreciated. Cost should be $75 or so. Need to keep this safe, but of course, our next goal is just to have fun. Not too many options and/or opportunities to use our expensive equipment in this capacity, so hopefully, can make this happen and make it a somewhat regular thing.

Sounds good to me. Only thing is at that distance you probably are limiting it to only those of us that can own restricted illuminators as well.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Sounds good to me. Only thing is at that distance you probably are limiting it to only those of us that can own restricted illuminators as well.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Will certainly trial and error this before. Since I'm involved, I'd just about assume that the sky won't cooperate and we will have a nothing from the heavens giving assistance

Id be interested in this if thermal is an option. Its not the greatest on paper or steel though

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

A 12 hour chem light could be used for various amounts of illumination at the targets. Use 100mph tape to cover as much/little of the light depending how much illumination you want.

Speaking of chemlights - they are pretty spectacular when you hit 'em at night time.

Good luck organizing your event!

Back
Top Bottom