• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Long lasting preferred trail camera?

1EDsson

Default rank <4500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
65   0
Reaction score
I have two Wildgame, and one Stealthcam, they have all failed this year. They are all the lower price point models, less than $60, I believe The current issue with both Wildgames is that they don't take pictures at night, but the corn feeder they are covering is empty, and deer tracks everywhere. There's always a daytime picture of me coming to get the SD card though, occasional daytime squirrel pics, never any raccoons during the night, anymore. And I walked back there at midnight a few days ago, nope no midnight marauder pics. And the batteries never last very long, maybe a month. That gets expensive with 8 AA alkalines each. I've read on the web that lithium's are the way to go? The CVS I was in yesterday had nothing labeled lithium. I'll check costco soon. Even more expensive I hear, but if they last for months, may be worth it.
The Stealthcam's issue is currently "card locked" or "sd error". Hasn't produced a pic or video in a month. This one is also a battery hawg. Found something on the web this morning that says I should try cleaning the contacts on both the card, and in the camera? the lock is not locked. This one is 5 years old. The other two are, I think, 3 years old.

I'm thinking it's time to spend mo money on a good camera? Browning? Moultrie? What is the experienced opinion out there?
How much will I need to spend?
I've read some cameras last a full year on one set of AA's? Thousands of pics?

Would like to see more of this guy. He's black, I think. #blackyotesmatter

Last years buck munching on one of those Trophy Rocks from Tractor Supply.

We use all sorts of cameras. Browning seems to be the best quality. It's triple the price of the cheaper cams you are buying. And it still takes the same batteries the cheaper models do. But video and sound are pretty cool.

I have a cheap Browning , not so good like the more expensive models. Ive used Moultrie (some are better than others), Stealthcam etc. I dont have a favorite so I am in for comments from others.

I hate to say it, but trail cameras you get what you pay for most of the time. Honestly the only trail camera that I’ve had that lasted more than a couple season that’s was under $100 was a tasco camera I got for $30 at Walmart. I was surprised for sure.

I’ve got Cuddeback cameras that are 7 or 8 years old that are still going. Been running Tactacam Reveal for about a year and has been good so far. WildGame and Primos both lasted about a year and were not impressive when they did work.

Tactacam has been good so far as Overwatch1 Overwatch1 says above. I am very happy with it at this point.

Every cheap camera that I have bought ($50 or so) has failed in a shorter time that one would expect.

Moultrie continues to be ok for the money but not great.

I swapped out mine this year for 2 from WM for $24 each. Taking great pics. I think the batteries corrosion is what trashes most cameras.
Yep I revived my moultrie by dousing it with lemon juice and baking soda.
I think it is into it's third year now.

But being the cheap sob that I am I went with the amazon GardePro brand last fall, and the extended 2 year warranty for an additional $6. Less than $70 total.The first one was great for about 6 months before it just quit. Got my refund, and ordered another. We'll see..., so far, so good.

Back
Top Bottom