• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Loadout Questions

Jblue

Default rank <5000 posts
ODT Junkie!
159   1
Reaction score
I am just now starting to assemble what I could call a proper loadout. I am wondering what is most useful in terms of having attachments on a plate carrier VS attachments on belt. I was thinking about going cheap on carrier, nice plates, nice vest for attachments. Just seeing what's popular. Thanks.

I am just now starting to assemble what I could call a proper loadout. I am wondering what is most useful in terms of having attachments on a plate carrier VS attachments on belt. I was thinking about going cheap on carrier, nice plates, nice vest for attachments. Just seeing what's popular. Thanks.

All I can say is buy once cry once. You are talking about a setup that is potentially life saving equipment. Do you really wanna cheap out? In a time of desperation when you need it most is when it will fail. That’s my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions :confused: I have a 5.11 carrier and it’s super comfortable.

Some of the cheaper carriers are uncomfortable and restrict movement. A plate carrier should have things that keep you alive, ammo, water, medical supplies, etc. Your belt should have tools, dump pouch etc.

Best thing you can do is try some on, you might regret going cheap on a carrier, especially if a situation arises and you need to wear it for a prolonged period. I use a TYR Tactical Pico-MBAV at home, and at work. Most comfortable carrier I’ve worn in 20+ years. There are a ton of options out there, choose carefully.

This is something that is more or less grab and go. I don't plan on leaving the house with intention to need or don it.

What I think I am going to do, just based on my current budget is go:

Cheap plate carrier, basic no frills - just a pouch to put my plates in

Nice plates

Milsurp ITOV kinda vest for attachment and gear over that.

Some of the cheaper carriers are uncomfortable and restrict movement. A plate carrier should have things that keep you alive, ammo, water, medical supplies, etc. Your belt should have tools, dump pouch etc.

Best thing you can do is try some on, you might regret going cheap on a carrier, especially if a situation arises and you need to wear it for a prolonged period. I use a TYR Tactical Pico-MBAV at home, and at work. Most comfortable carrier I’ve worn in 20+ years. There are a ton of options out there, choose carefully.
Where is somewhere I could try on carriers? Never seen them on shelves.

if it's uncomfortable, you wont wear it so spend the money if you wear one for work. if you only plan on grabbing it in an emergency, you are probably better of spending that time assessing the situation and getting behind your rifle. i have a couple of plate carriers and it didn't take long to realize that unless I had to wear one all day for work, I was probably never going to use one in a firefight. I do put them on the kids along with the bicycle helmets when the tornado sirens go off though.

if it's uncomfortable, you wont wear it so spend the money if you wear one for work. if you only plan on grabbing it in an emergency, you are probably better of spending that time assessing the situation and getting behind your rifle. i have a couple of plate carriers and it didn't take long to realize that unless I had to wear one all day for work, I was probably never going to use one in a firefight. I do put them on the kids along with the bicycle helmets when the tornado sirens go off though.
Good point and good idea. I am trying to stage my shelter in gear, my bug out gear, all so I can have everything on my back. My ruck includes a tent, med equipment, survival equipment, etc.

Back
Top Bottom