• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

"Lo Ball" is criminal, "Hi Balling" be the American Way

gh1950

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
105   0
Reaction score
Preface:

I've purchased several guns here, typically paying the asking price, the make or break factor being how much travel is involved (long story). I don't try to "low ball" much on anyone.

Thesis:

Occasionally I see an item that has been relisted for months (years?) at the same price, and I'm moderately interested, and I will make an offer below the asking price. Typically more near what I consider to be the real world market value. Especially if the item is a gun, it's not unusual to get back a supposedly sarcastic reply about not dealing with "low ballers", and maybe some disparaging remarks about same.

Yet it appears that it is acceptable social behavior to mindlessly post the same ad over and over, bumping real sellers off the front page, uselessly taking up bandwidth.

I don't clearly understand why it is the 'Murican way to try to get as much money as you can for an object, but it is Godless Communism to try to get the best deal you can.

Preface:

I've purchased several guns here, typically paying the asking price, the make or break factor being how much travel is involved (long story). I don't try to "low ball" much on anyone.

Thesis:

Occasionally I see an item that has been relisted for months (years?) at the same price, and I'm moderately interested, and I will make an offer below the asking price. Typically more near what I consider to be the real world market value. Especially if the item is a gun, it's not unusual to get back a supposedly sarcastic reply about not dealing with "low ballers", and maybe some disparaging remarks about same.

Yet it appears that it is acceptable social behavior to mindlessly post the same ad over and over, bumping real sellers off the front page, uselessly taking up bandwidth.

I don't clearly understand why it is the 'Murican way to try to get as much money as you can for an object, but it is Godless Communism to try to get the best deal you can.

Truth, justice and the American way !

Nothing wrong about making an offer below asking price -
Nothing wrong in refusing that offer -
This presumes both are done in a polite, business like manner -
An offer is what it is worth to you, It is up to me to accept it or not --
While I have received "offers" in a rude manner I still just grit my teeth and give a polite but firm "no thanks" --

I don't have anyone on ignore but the first candidates would be the folks that list the same over-priced items over and over and over...they rarely contribute much by way of entertainment by posting jokes or memes or even comment on other folks' ads.

To them the ODT is nothing more than a place to advertise. No sense of the "community" of ODT. Yeah, maybe I should start putting them on ignore...

Or just complain about them in threads in the pasture...

Nothing wrong about making an offer below asking price -
Nothing wrong in refusing that offer -
This presumes both are done in a polite, business like manner -
An offer is what it is worth to you, It is up to me to accept it or not --
While I have received "offers" in a rude manner I still just grit my teeth and give a polite but firm "no thanks" --
Couldn’t have said it any better

Back
Top Bottom