• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Listen to the squirrels.

I've had little luck with crows or squirrels, mostly just aggravation. In the woods I've seen squirrels do a 50yd dash. Sounds like a deer to me in the leaves. So I always have to look. Sometimes it is a deer. It usually happens when I'm taking a nap...

Learn to whistle like a hawk and the squirrels will freeze for a few. They usually dont bark til they see movement

Yeah when crows approach I freeze cause they’ll harass the crap out of me if they spot movement.
Cricket tones also have their benefits but I’m sure some would think I was smoking twilight zone weed if I told some of my secret cricket observations.

21192725_1809544682419706_7323206710230233211_n.jpg

Getting more into hunting and this is some info that would have probably taken me more than a few seasons to pick up on. Good looking out! I always thought those "barks" were a bird somewhere.

More often than not a barking squirrel is alerting you that a deer is on its way.
Happened to me again last night.
Squirrel barking kinda snapped me awake on my ladder.
Squirrel was about 75 yards to my right.

Ten min later a nice little 6 point came sneaking up the trail to my right.
I let him walk but chalk another one up to the squirrels for guard dogging.
All my years of hunting and I never heard that said. I use to hear them fuzzy tailed tree rats all the time. One day I was sitting in the stand and I felt something grab hold of my leg. I don't know who was more shocked and surprised..........Me or the squirrel.

I've had those things just sit there and bark at me for hours. One day while hunting in the mountains many years ago; I pulled my then side arm, a 357, and took careful aim. I took his head off. I didn't see any deer, but I had dinner....

I killed this buck in 2013 because of a squirrel.. I was hunting a new farm and sat in a old ladder stand they already had up. I wasn't sure how the deer would move through. About 8:30 I noticed a squirrel run up a tree beside me and started barking like crazy looking behind me. I turned around and he was standing there feeding about 50 yards away. He was about 40 yards from the property line. If it wasn't for that squirrel I would've never seen that buck in time
Screenshot_20211001-075236_Gallery.jpg

I don’t know if it’s 100% the same way all of the time, but a squirrel’s bark and whine sounds a lot different when a hawk/owl, coyote or bobcat comes through vs when it’s a deer.

Back
Top Bottom