• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Linked Cellular Trail Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hunting and cell service just doesn’t sound right.
Technically it’s illegal to use a trail camera linked to a cellphone in pursuance of game. Which means legally speaking if you got a text of a deer on your phone from the camera and rushed out there to kill it, if a game warden could prove it you’d be getting a few hefty fines. I just use them because I like knowing what’s out there during the rut when I’m most busy with work and don’t get to check them manually as often.

Technically it’s illegal to use a trail camera linked to a cellphone in pursuance of game. Which means legally speaking if you got a text of a deer on your phone from the camera and rushed out there to kill it, if a game warden could prove it you’d be getting a few hefty fines. I just use them because I like knowing what’s out there during the rut when I’m most busy with work and don’t get to check them manually as often.
I've never personally heard of that statute being enforced in Georgia and it is awfully vague. As worded, you texting your buddy to say "Just saw big boy headed your way! Be alert!" could theoretically be construed as being in violation. I find it impossible to believe any LEO would use a recent pic on your phone to charge with being in violation of the statute. But yes, anything is possible. Since it particularly uses the word 'pursuit', I'm sure the intent is dissuade 'deer drives' and using walkie type communications in that endeavor.
https://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2019/title-27/chapter-3/article-1/part-1/section-27-3-12/
  • (a) It shall be unlawful to hunt any wild animal, game animal, or game bird by means of drugs, poisons, chemicals, smoke, gas, explosives, recorded calls or sounds, or recorded and electronically imitated or amplified sounds or calls. It shall also be unlawful to use electronic communications equipment for the purpose of facilitating pursuit of any wild animal, game bird, or game animal.

I've never personally heard of that statute being enforced in Georgia and it is awfully vague. As worded, you texting your buddy to say "Just saw big boy headed your way! Be alert!" could theoretically be construed as being in violation. I find it impossible to believe any LEO would use a recent pic on your phone to charge with being in violation of the statute. But yes, anything is possible. Since it particularly uses the word 'pursuit', I'm sure the intent is dissuade 'deer drives' and using walkie type communications in that endeavor.
https://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2019/title-27/chapter-3/article-1/part-1/section-27-3-12/
  • (a) It shall be unlawful to hunt any wild animal, game animal, or game bird by means of drugs, poisons, chemicals, smoke, gas, explosives, recorded calls or sounds, or recorded and electronically imitated or amplified sounds or calls. It shall also be unlawful to use electronic communications equipment for the purpose of facilitating pursuit of any wild animal, game bird, or game animal.

Does this mean you can't legally "call" coyotes with distress calls?
It says "any wild animal".

I’ve never heard of it being enforced myself either. The example you gave was a good one, my father and grandfather both have told me that it used to be illegal to hunt with a walkie talkie as well before cell phones were a thing.

Does this mean you can't legally "call" coyotes with distress calls?
It says "any wild animal".
You saw that huh? ;) It is explicitly provided that you can use electronic calls for coyotes. Invasives are categorized differently.
I'll try and find the actual classification of animals in Georgia. It (like most laws) is not self evident unfortunately.

Coyotes aint considered game. They classify them the same as hogs being invasive species.
At one point, there was I believe, game animals, non-game animals, protected species, wildlife, invasive species and I'm probably missing one or two. There was great overlap in some groups. VERY (and unnecessarily) confusing.....

My buddy just closed on a small (15 acre) piece of property. He’s looking for cellular trail cams that can be linked and send the images back to him so that he can monitor his property. Can the ODT collective brain trust help him out with some recommendations? I’ve really got no experience with cameras. Thanks in advance.
Not really sure what you mean about linked, but here is my experience with cellular cameras. Last year I bought one of the expensive Spypoints, figuring, you get what you pay for. I fought it for two months before it finally worked right. The signal is spotty, and the pictures have a weird green tint to them. And, no, it isn't because of lighting. I then figured since I was into the Spypoints, I would buy a cell-link. They are garbage, terrible signal, and a cheap ribbon cable that breaks and leaks. I took it back for a refund. I was kind of bummed about cell cameras, and then came Tactacam. I got my first one in July of last year, and was so impressed, that I soon bought another one. It gets signal where the Spypoint and a Spartan would not. They are not perfect, but they are only around $100.00. The plans are also affordable. I started a thread about them, and I believe most people that bought them have been pretty pleased. All cameras are on one plan, and fully accessible by an app on your phone, tablet, or computer web portal.
I now have six Reveals in the woods. I am running them year round, with unlimited pictures. Mine are all the original model, as they now have the Reveal X available. You can set it up so that the pictures send to you every 12 or 24 hours, or on a timely basis, which is whenever it takes a picture. There are advantages to both settings. You can also set your phone up with notifications, so you know when there is a new picture. I have mine set to timely, with instant notifications, however, it is silent. Believe me, it can drive you crazy if you don't have it on silent.
Also, I am in no way connected with Tactacam. Just a guy who has been messing with game cameras for a very long time, and have found what I believe to be a solid, no frills cell camera, that works well.

He’s not a hunter. Just wants to monitor his property until they build in a couple of years. Thank you for the info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom