• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

line type for trout fishing........

Fluorocarbon is what I use for fish with excellent vision. Tuna to trout, pricey but worth it to me. I grew up on the Chatahoochee and have caught plenty on mono. Just use fresh 6lb trilene and check/retie often. Distance was never a problem. 51/2 med rod with shimano 1500 6lb trilene and 1/8 rooster will darn near cross the river. Cheaper and way less headaches than involving braid. However, braid floats and has zero stretch, so I can see where it would be useful in some situations.

Fluorocarbon is what I use for fish with excellent vision. Tuna to trout, pricey but worth it to me. I grew up on the Chatahoochee and have caught plenty on mono. Just use fresh 6lb trilene and check/retie often. Distance was never a problem. 51/2 med rod with shimano 1500 6lb trilene and 1/8 rooster will darn near cross the river. Cheaper and way less headaches than involving braid. However, braid floats and has zero stretch, so I can see where it would be useful in some situations.

thats a heck of a cast for that gear setup.

only bad thing is he kept/killed the fish. that lady could have produced many many more to be just like her.
im not against keeping a few fish but i wont keep them that big. 1, they wont taste good that long in the hooch,
2, i care more about the conservation than the pats on the back.
let me know the next time you get data on trout reproducing in the Chattahoochee....NOT!!!

only bad thing is he kept/killed the fish. that lady could have produced many many more to be just like her.
im not against keeping a few fish but i wont keep them that big. 1, they wont taste good that long in the hooch,
2, i care more about the conservation than the pats on the back.
that was a stock fish,released by DNR. native fish in the Hooch which are few and far between. Hard for them to reproduce with water levels fluctuating like they do.

but you cant get the distance with mono that you can with braid which is my whole purpose for the braid.
Don't overlook the additional sensitivity that braid gives you. Depending on how you're fishing, that can make a big difference.

Though I like and use the Uniknot a lot, I no longer use it to tie on a longer leader. If it hits the eyelets when you're casting, it slowly damages the floro and it can break with very little pressure. I now use the FG (fine grip) knot. It looks complicated to tie, but it's really not once you get the hang of it. YouTube is your friend.

BTW, Power Pro is my preferred braid. 5lb. It casts like a rocket.

Don't overlook the additional sensitivity that braid gives you. Depending on how you're fishing, that can make a big difference.

Though I like and use the Uniknot a lot, I no longer use it to tie on a longer leader. If it hits the eyelets when you're casting, it slowly damages the floro and it can break with very little pressure. I now use the FG (fine grip) knot. It looks complicated to tie, but it's really not once you get the hang of it. YouTube is your friend.

BTW, Power Pro is my preferred braid. 5lb. It casts like a rocket.

5# as in actual line dia or test rating?
i like your posts bear44. i try to catch them as often as i can.
i always laugh or learn. often both my good sir.

Back
Top Bottom