• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Like asking Jeffery Dahmer for a recipe. ...............................

I don't know a thing about the wood you guys are talking about BUT I do know a thing or two about character and all of you lending a hand to help have a a lot of it. God Bless you all for being willing to help out.

It's what we do here when we are not buying, selling or trading guns. These guys have prayed for me and my wife when I thought all was lost.

All good man, it's an honor and a pleasure to be of service to our friends and neighbors. I fear however that lesson isn't being taught to the youngsters these days! Besides being a resident smart a$$ on ODT I also work in tech and do woodworking including building guitars and ukuleles as a hobby. Also built a few 3D printed electric violins.

All good man, it's an honor and a pleasure to be of service to our friends and neighbors. I fear however that lesson isn't being taught to the youngsters these days! Besides being a resident smart a$$ on ODT I also work in tech and do woodworking including building guitars and ukuleles as a hobby. Also built a few 3D printed electric violins.

Well welcome too GA and the ODT brotherhood.

At my wife's insistence I'm in the process of restoring two wooden and metal benches. The wood is rotten and has too be replaced. ( these are really nice benches given too me by a neighbor )

As the heading says I know little about doing this. My question? What type wood should I use and what finish for the wood would be durable?
If you want the "best" that would be lignum vitae. Others suggested here are all good. I prefer bald cypress. However, redwood, while resisting the elements, and pretty when new, has a very short grain and if a 300 pounder plops down on your bench, unscheduled events may transpire.

Ok. After checking the price on the Ipe wood and the information on the difficulty of working with it. I'm going to have to go with a different wood. ( I'm limited too a chop saw for cutting) That and I certainly can't do any milling.

Ok. After checking the price on the Ipe wood and the information on the difficulty of working with it. I'm going to have to go with a different wood. ( I'm limited too a chop saw for cutting) That and I certainly can't do any milling.

Pansy :boink:

Back
Top Bottom