• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Like asking Jeffery Dahmer for a recipe. ...............................

deller

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
114   0
Reaction score
At my wife's insistence I'm in the process of restoring two wooden and metal benches. The wood is rotten and has too be replaced. ( these are really nice benches given too me by a neighbor )

As the heading says I know little about doing this. My question? What type wood should I use and what finish for the wood would be durable?

No sir. Timber Town is fairly close to you.

I am assuming you are replacing 3/4 slate of some kind. Is that correct?

This is Ipe. It is a Brazilian Hardwood
D58C6A07-4FAD-4834-8F65-29C11A11C4C3.jpeg

Is Ipe a brand readily available say through Lowes or Home Depot?
Not likely. Woodcraaft used to have some. Check with them and see if they can order some in for you to pick and choose through. That Ipe is super hard...wears saw blades and lathe tools dull real quick like.

Yes sir slats with the exception of a curved section on each of the benches. ( not sure how I'll make that cut but where theres a will theres a way)

If it's gonna sit outside Ipe is outstanding! Other types that are good in exposed areas, Teak (hard to find these days), Cypress, White Oak (does OK and it's easy to find round here).

Post a couple pics. There are several great woodworkers here on ODT and some guys that "do it for a living" that can lend advice and probably help ya in a pinch.

Back
Top Bottom