• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Life Advice?

I didn't read the entire thread, so sorry if I'm repeating what someone has already said.

Look, you don't need to love what you do to make a living. Most people that start out that way get burned out and stop loving it soon anyway. The purpose of a profession is to make money. That's what makes it a profession rather than a hobby.

Do something that you can stand to do for 40 hours a week, that doesn't put you into overwhelming debt to learn, is very employable and makes a crap ton of money.

Your time on the job is not who you are. It simply pays for the time you can be who you are and do what you want to do. Most of the really successful people I know don't really care about their profession that much. They care about what's really important. Family, quality of life outside the job, security of their future.

That crap about "love your work and it won't feel like work" that so many kids are told is typically pie in the sky BS. First you do what you need to, then you go do what you want to. That's why it's called earning a living.

9E2B585A-2BBF-4C88-8109-680E38427828.gif

Lots of people go through this as you are fairly young. Nothing new here and you will figure it out like the rest of us.

Dont just feel like you're just roaming the earth with no purpose because you dont have something set in mind. If you need face to face people to talk to there are plenty of groups since you have access to internet.

I'd advise not to automatically cling to a religion to feel like you belong. If you do make it a choice and not weakness to feel like you belong. Use your brain lol

Believe it or not this is something I’ve looked into already. It all sounded very promising, however I was turned down by my recruiter due to the fact that I have ADHD.
did you make sure to tell the recruiter that you had adhd? If you told him it's because you didn't want to get the opportunity.

did you make sure to tell the recruiter that you had adhd? If you told him it's because you didn't want to get the opportunity.
It’s not that I didn’t want the opportunity at all. I was always taught to be honest, also understanding that lying to the government could potentially be a big deal I decided to be truthful. I didn’t think it would be such a problem as it’s not a life threatening condition nor would it prevent from performing any better or worse than anyone else.

The biggest decision you make in life is who you choose to marry, or IF you choose to marry and when. Stay away from the crazy chicks, play the field as long as you can until you find the right one.

Jobs...meh...you can always change professions. Don't sweat it. If you really want to have a good job, be the boss, start your own business.

You want more life advice? Don't buy anything on credit...save 15% of what you make for retirement, if you start now, you'll be retired at 55. Only go in debt for your house, and buy the cheapest house possible, and a 2 family or something with rental potential. My first house we had a garage apt, and the renter paid half of our mortgage. Save, save, save. My stock portfolio has DOUBLED since October, let money make you money. Don't pay others high interest. I make more every month on my options/stocks than I do at work. Add in some rental property and life gets pretty easy.

More live advice? Stuff isn't worth anything...live life as simply as you can, buy the cheapest car you can, and don't splurge on silly crap. Only buy something if you have the cash in hand, and you've paid you bills for the next 3 months. Having a flashy lifestyle is dumb, look at Warren Buffet, he lives in the same house he bought in 1950 and he's a billionaire. Stuff just clutters up your basement.

The biggest decision you make in life is who you choose to marry, or IF you choose to marry and when. Stay away from the crazy chicks, play the field as long as you can until you find the right one.

Jobs...meh...you can always change professions. Don't sweat it. If you really want to have a good job, be the boss, start your own business.

You want more life advice? Don't buy anything on credit...save 15% of what you make for retirement, if you start now, you'll be retired at 55. Only go in debt for your house, and buy the cheapest house possible, and a 2 family or something with rental potential. My first house we had a garage apt, and the renter paid half of our mortgage. Save, save, save. My stock portfolio has DOUBLED since October, let money make you money. Don't pay others high interest. I make more every month on my options/stocks than I do at work. Add in some rental property and life gets pretty easy.

More live advice? Stuff isn't worth anything...live life as simply as you can, buy the cheapest car you can, and don't splurge on silly crap. Only buy something if you have the cash in hand, and you've paid you bills for the next 3 months. Having a flashy lifestyle is dumb, look at Warren Buffet, he lives in the same house he bought in 1950 and he's a billionaire. Stuff just clutters up your basement.
I like most of this. However, the right house can be a good investment regardless of how expansive it is. I also believe in spending money to enjoy life. Just don't go into debt or cut your budget short (including savings payments) to do it.

I didn't read the entire thread, so sorry if I'm repeating what someone has already said.

Look, you don't need to love what you do to make a living. Most people that start out that way get burned out and stop loving it soon anyway. The purpose of a profession is to make money. That's what makes it a profession rather than a hobby.

Do something that you can stand to do for 40 hours a week, that doesn't put you into overwhelming debt to learn, is very employable and makes a crap ton of money.

Your time on the job is not who you are. It simply pays for the time you can be who you are and do what you want to do. Most of the really successful people I know don't really care about their profession that much. They care about what's really important. Family, quality of life outside the job, security of their future.

That crap about "love your work and it won't feel like work" that so many kids are told is typically pie in the sky BS. First you do what you need to, then you go do what you want to. That's why it's called earning a living.

I can attest. I am in the parts business. Before I started I loved cars and racing etc. Once I did it all day everyday once I was in the parts business for a while that dwindled. I got at job in aircraft parts and then tractor parts. At that point my dream job was at a motorcycle shop. I spent time riding four wheelers and motorcycles were a passion. One day I got the call. I went to work at the local motorcycle shop. A few years in I no longer was impressed by the newest model or the horsepower or torque ratings. It became just a job. I've said I never want to be a gynecologist. That said I would love to do something gun related but don't want to risk it becoming a job.

Another thought about the time you spend on the job. If you have the right attitude, a lot of the joy you would get from your work is based in pride of how well you do it, not what you are actually doing. Regardless of what it is, do your job very well and you will feel a lot better about doing it at all. You're also very likely to get offered promotion and higher pay.

I can attest. I am in the parts business. Before I started I loved cars and racing etc. Once I did it all day everyday once I was in the parts business for a while that dwindled. I got at job in aircraft parts and then tractor parts. At that point my dream job was at a motorcycle shop. I spent time riding four wheelers and motorcycles were a passion. One day I got the call. I went to work at the local motorcycle shop. A few years in I no longer was impressed by the newest model or the horsepower or torque ratings. It became just a job. I've said I never want to be a gynecologist. That said I would love to do something gun related but don't want to risk it becoming a job.
Yep. I don't know of anyone that made a passion into a profession that still had a passion for it after a year or two. The most you can realistically hope for is a feeling of satisfaction due to a job well done and a good income.

Back
Top Bottom