• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Life Advice?

Bailen

Default rank <300 posts
Broke College Student
42   0
Reaction score
I wasn’t sure where else to post this. Here’s what’s going on though. Im struggling to find my purpose in life, if any at all. Im currently 22 (about to be 23), have been going to college very inconsistently with a couple semesters here and there with plenty of breaks in between. The reason for this is because I can’t seem to figure out what I’m good at or what I want to do. It’s all very overwhelming and I’m getting flustered seeing all my friends graduate while I’m still over here messing around. I know you guys can’t exactly tell me what I should be doing, but I’m hoping someone can share a similar experience and help point me in the right direction.

Testing could be a huge help. I would go to a professional who can administer legit aptitude test(s). You can find out what comes naturally to you, which is often an indication of something you may enjoy. Sometimes the challenge is figuring out how to monetize our abilities (or finding a balance of I like this/I can make a living at this how?).

A lot of people your age are in the same boat as you - don't fret, just move forward. One way to find your way is to try different jobs, too. You're at an age where you can job hop and it won't be held against you.

Don't measure your life by others. Everyone is different and have different ways of doing things. You're not behind anyone.

My life advice? Join the National Guard. You'll continue your education while growing self confidence and new skills. The ASVAB will test you and give them some idea of what jobs you'd be good at. Something as simple as completing your first ruck march can change your entire outlook on life.....Especially when you see how many people are behind you.

Deployment is WAY down. Most likely you'll spend most of your time at your local armory. 2 days a month, 2 weeks a year. There, you'll build a new group of friends and contacts. You'll find a career one way or another.

If nothing else you can stay in the NG for 20 years and have a retirement to look forward to.

I wasn’t sure where else to post this. Here’s what’s going on though. Im struggling to find my purpose in life, if any at all. Im currently 22 (about to be 23), have been going to college very inconsistently with a couple semesters here and there with plenty of breaks in between. The reason for this is because I can’t seem to figure out what I’m good at or what I want to do. It’s all very overwhelming and I’m getting flustered seeing all my friends graduate while I’m still over here messing around. I know you guys can’t exactly tell me what I should be doing, but I’m hoping someone can share a similar experience and help point me in the right direction.
Join the Armed Forces, they will square you away. If nothing else they will stop the whining.

Don't measure your life by others. Everyone is different and have different ways of doing things. You're not behind anyone.

My life advice? Join the National Guard. You'll continue your education while growing self confidence and new skills. The ASVAB will test you and give them some idea of what jobs you'd be good at. Something as simple as completing your first ruck march can change your entire outlook on life.....Especially when you see how many people are behind you.

Deployment is WAY down. Most likely you'll spend most of your time at your local armory. 2 days a month, 2 weeks a year. There, you'll build a new group of friends and contacts. You'll find a career one way or another.

If nothing else you can stay in the NG for 20 years and have a retirement to look forward to.
Believe it or not this is something I’ve looked into already. It all sounded very promising, however I was turned down by my recruiter due to the fact that I have ADHD.

Are you religious?
It’s something I’m trying to get into a learn more about. I did not grow up in a religious family, and am not super familiar with it all. I have been speaking with some friends about it recently though, trying to go into it all with an open mind and see what happens!

Join the Armed Forces, they will square you away. If nothing else they will stop the whining.

Exactly, was the best thing for me in 1961. Gave me 4 years to grow up, get discipline and decide what I wanted to do. Free room/board, health care, 30 days a year vacation, and college tuition when completed. Also low VA home purchase rates at the time.

Quick update for everyone recommending going into the guard or any other service. I am literally not capable of doing this due to my ADHD. I’ve looked into it and was turned away by all recruiters.

Back
Top Bottom