• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Lever action advice

I think a threaded-muzzle, side-loading-port, lever action rifle in .44 mag/ .44 special or .45 long Colt would be awesome for suppressed hunting with extra heavy bullets. But the barrel twist rate would need to be fast to stabilize the very long bullets that I'd want in the 300-400 grain weight range. There are plenty of .30 caliber loads that will sling a 220 grain bullet at Mach 0.9. I want to do it with a bullet that weighs a LOT more, to get more kinetic energy on target. Without a loss of accuracy in the heavy loads. Yet I'd want it to shoot supersonic ammo in the normal 200-240 grain weight range with good accuracy, too.

So you want a 45-70... and a can that will handle it.

There's plenty out there but you won't be doing it with your 45 ACP can (not for long at least).

Classic western look and suppressor does not fit in the same category, IMHO. Kinda like putting curb feelers on a King Ranch Cowboy Dually. If I were going to suppress a firearm, I believe it would be a semi auto. Only exception might be a bolt action rifle an that would be for deer hunting in the suburbs. And in 308.
Clearly you have never shot a suppressed lever action, normal 38’s sound like 22 shorts, 357’s are nearly hearing safe behind the rifle. They are outstanding suppressor host.

6CF6CC29-259E-4934-BC06-846C387C05B8.jpeg

I have the Winchester 1894 ae 44 mag 16 inch barrel, shoots great, light weight, easy to carry all day. It has the angle ejection of the spent round (ae) so you can mount a scope. It had syn stocks on it from the guy I bought if from, I thought about getting some wood stock but the syn stocks have grown on me.

Attachments

• DBF98FAA-007C-4BCE-952A-79FBAE8C665F.jpeg
    DBF98FAA-007C-4BCE-952A-79FBAE8C665F.jpeg
    74 KB · Views: 9
  • E3F08FC6-E78E-4067-8CDB-382EC66252E0.jpeg
    E3F08FC6-E78E-4067-8CDB-382EC66252E0.jpeg
    48 KB · Views: 9
Clearly you have never shot a suppressed lever action, normal 38’s sound like 22 shorts, 357’s are nearly hearing safe behind the rifle. They are outstanding suppressor host.

View attachment 2837364
No Sir. But I have shot 44 special in a suppressed 77/44 so I get your point. I suppose Im a bit of a purist with leverguns and single action revolvers. But I guess thats why we can have opposing opinions.

Marlin CST sounds like it's about the only option unless you want to go get something else and get the barrel threaded. I'm thinking about doing it on my CSBL for fun. Otherwise all the X models for Henry don't have that Classic look, but at they do have threaded and side gate. I say get one of these and thread the barrel. The CSBL is a fantastic looking rifle. Just gotta find one!

The problem with threading the barrel on a lot of models is that you *may* also have to relocate the front sight and cut-down the magazine.

It's not the end of the world, and any competent gunsmith can do it, but it's something to be aware of if you think a threaded barrel is down the road for you when buying a non-threaded gun.

Back
Top Bottom