• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Lever action advice

The Marlins are nice... I picked up one of the 38/357 late last year. Both the Dark and the CST models are threaded, and no puppies were killed in the process. Heck, Teddy Roosevelt hunted with suppressed lever-actions all the time.

The Henry X Models are excellent and use a side-load gate as well as the tube-loading, so no removal of the can is required.

The bad news is that none of these are easily available, and neither Marlin or Henry will allow you to order one.

I spent months trying to find one of the Henry X Models in 44 Magnum, but only found one on GunBroker in all that time, and it was bid up to $1500 when I saw it.

I was able to get a 45 Colt X Model for around MSRP on GB, and I did see some 38/357 models up there for around MSRP as well. I haven't checked the status of the Marlins but I'm guessing that'll be about the same as the Henry... no 44s but other calibers should be available at a price.

I was able to get a 45 Colt X Model for around MSRP on GB, and I did see some 38/357 models up there for around MSRP as well. I haven't checked the status of the Marlins but I'm guessing that'll be about the same as the Henry... no 44s but other calibers should be available at a price.

Thanks for the insight. I've always stuck to the more popular, plentiful and relatively modern calibers (45 acp, 9mm, 357, 38, 223, 308). I'm not that familiar with 45 colt or 44 mag. Why is 44 so popular?

I'm not that familiar with 45 colt or 44 mag. Why is 44 so popular?
44 Magnum was the hottest hand gun caliber for a good long time. You can push 340gr bullets at almost 1,500 fps. It's a frighteningly powerful handgun caliber and was only really surpassed by the .460 and then the .500. Out of a carbine, .44 Mag is even more impressive.

I'm a big fan of .45LC just because it's an old school, straight walled, rimmed cowboy case. I've shot so much of, I just love it, but the .44 Mag is a far better round on almost all accounts, unless you're looking for lead wadcutter cowboy stuff, the .45 shines.

.....I'm a cat person anyway.
tenor.gif

Thanks for the insight. I've always stuck to the more popular, plentiful and relatively modern calibers (45 acp, 9mm, 357, 38, 223, 308). I'm not that familiar with 45 colt or 44 mag. Why is 44 so popular?

Now they are protesting in Downtown Atlanta.

For me the 45 Colt was a better choice for the Henry because light 'cowboy' loads suppress pretty well and the pressure won't break my Octane 45 suppressor.

As for 44 Magnum, didn't you ever see the original Dirty Harry?

Seriously though, it's a great caliber for a lever gun. It's easy to manage the recoil in one, and you get some nice extra velocity from the longer barrel.

Back
Top Bottom