• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Lever 30-30 Scope Choice

Leupold fixed 2.5 compact @ around 6 oz. in low mounts could be a wise choice, balance and feel are important for quick shots in tight cover.But personally, I like a good Lymans or Williams peep sight just as well.Love the levers,to me they are a great big ole piece of rugged Americana.

I’ve been using my Marlin for most of my hunting. My first kill with it was with iron sights. I put a 3-9x40 on it and appreciate the difference. On 3x I can still knock down close prey. The longest shot I took was 125m. Right through lungs and heart. My last was 70m at a buck quartering away. I would not have taken either shot on iron sights. The long one would’ve been too dark and the 70m would’ve been too far for my old eyes. I use a Leupold, but since then, I give Vortex a good look because of their guarantee. Good hunting.

I got a lever action Marlin for Christmas and have been debating on putting a scope on the rifle. Any suggestions for a scope? Should I just leave the iron sights? Any and all comments would be of help to give me some ideas. I like quality optics on my rifles that i wont have to sight in every few weeks during deer season. Thanks in advance.

The weight and balance of the gun completely changes when you put a scope on it
Right now without the scope it comes to your shoulder and points much quicker than it will when a scope is on it.
I like the gun better with iron sights, but about 10 years back I had to scope it because of my eyesight.
It feels like a very different gun now, but with the scope on it, it seems more accurate.
Still, if I had my way, I'd leave it like it was, it had a very specific use to me (hunting in the thick stuff) and for that it was excellent.

Look at replacing the rear sight with an aperture sight that mounts on the receiver, where the scope mount would go. That gives you a set of irons that have a much extended sight radius over the factory setup, which means better accuracy for you. Williams, XS Sight Systems, Skinner, etc.

See through scope mounts are a must have for my 30-30 for hunting.
Gives you the option of scope for distance or iron sights for those quick reaction shots at closer ranges. JMO
Yes ,but there is never a need for irons with a 2.5X scope.Massive field of view with Leupold little compact.Low to the reciever is natural for the eye.I said all that ,to say I use a peep on my receiver.It extends the sighting plane and loans itself to good accuracy at distance.Its historic.As is the rifle design.

Back
Top Bottom