• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Lever 30-30 Scope Choice

JBrogan44

Default rank <15 posts
Outdoorsman
1   0
Reaction score
I got a lever action Marlin for Christmas and have been debating on putting a scope on the rifle. Any suggestions for a scope? Should I just leave the iron sights? Any and all comments would be of help to give me some ideas. I like quality optics on my rifles that i wont have to sight in every few weeks during deer season. Thanks in advance.

All comes down to how / where you hunt and how comfortable you are with iron sights.

I put scopes on my bolt and single shot hunting rifles. For lever action, I much prefer them as a "walking in the woods rifle," which carry better without the scope. My eyesight has diminished with age, where it's not ideal anymore, but I still prefer the iron sites on my 336.

Woods and tree stand is where I use a 30/30
A red dot gives better service under low light than a scope or irons, in my experience.

My 336 had a scope on it when I bought it. I took it off and just use the irons. If I think I'm going to be shooting far enough to need a scope I just bring out the bolt gun.

How far do you anticipate shooting?

Small scope, 1.5X to 5X or so.
No flared front end; no "bell" to block some of your peripheral vision
and caused a big black donut to surround the view that you see
through the rear (ocular) lens.

any scope you put on it will out range a .30-30. I just rock the iron sights myself. i've been thinking about putting some Skinner sights on it.

I appreciate everyone’s input! The reason I haven’t bought a scope yet is because my thought process was “if I’m shooting at a distance I need a scope, then I probably need my bolt rifle” I typically hunt with a .308 browning x-bolt, but there is a few areas on our property that are close quarters with some thicker areas that I think this rifle would perform well. I also considered a red dot but I didn’t want to ruin the old school lever look with a modern red dot.

I appreciate everyone’s input! The reason I haven’t bought a scope yet is because my thought process was “if I’m shooting at a distance I need a scope, then I probably need my bolt rifle” I typically hunt with a .308 browning x-bolt, but there is a few areas on our property that are close quarters with some thicker areas that I think this rifle would perform well. I also considered a red dot but I didn’t want to ruin the old school lever look with a modern red dot.
Sounds like you've already got it figured out

7C0A7891-16C0-4F18-B1F0-5BE2CF99BFD2.jpeg
2-7x33 is perfect on a lever gun

Back
Top Bottom