• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Let’s talk Keto

So keto folks that have done good for 6 months and then went back to your old ways. Did you put on more than you lost?

I bought a half eaten bowl of banana pudding off my daughter last night for $5. I may need to open a rehab thread rather than a keto one. For the record there wasn’t any other banana pudding in the house.

At least you're having to work for the sweets. lol

I will say one of the challenges to keto with a family is if everyone isn't on board with you and eating the same thing you get to watch them eat what you can't have. I hit 180 yesterday and lifted up my shirt to show my wife and asked if she could see the difference. She said yes and it makes her mad that she's been trying to loose weight for much longer than me and hasn't then made a comment about the bowl of ice cream that she just ate. I would of never mentioned it to her. lol

So keto folks that have done good for 6 months and then went back to your old ways. Did you put on more than you lost?

I didn't. I gained back about 15 ish pounds, around Thanksgiving and Christmas a little more. Which is typical for me, I lost that shortly after new year before going back on the diet I knew that I would gain back about ten just in water weight. When I did the diet the first time I had to make some life style changes in my diet. I was eating a lot of roller food and a crap ton of mountain dew. I only drink a couple of coke zero's a day now. If you go back to old habits you will gain it back with out a doubt. It would take a long time for me to get back to 240 I hope. My plan is once I get down to a lower weight to put limited carbs back into my diet and start trying to do more weights. So long as you do things in moderation you should be fine, but some weight will come back.

I will say that since you are a pretty active guy with what you do for work exercise is difficult to do and see results. At least it was for me any way. When you are already on your feet all day and moving your cardio will be higher than most naturally. I think a good diet would fix a lot of your problems. I've been in construction for over 20 years and can out work and out lift most guys that I know that can bench press more than me. I can also do it all day while they burn out after an hour.

When you have no carbs in your body and you are working in the heat make sure you take potassium pills or you will dehydrate quick. Carbs hold water in the fiber in your mussels and with out the carbs it can be rough.

caloric deficiency is untrue, when I was doing keto I was still consuming close to 3000 calories a day and lost 50 pounds. I ate 3 meals and 2 snacks a day.
No, it's true. It's the laws of thermodynamics and conservation of energy.
Those who switch to a pure Keto diet do lose weight but it's not all fat, you lose muscle mass which is denser.
One of my mentors is currently going through college to become a physical rehabilitation therapist. She's privy to the raw data on the research done on the many different diets. As with most published studies, data can be interpreted differently, especially if some portions are discarded. No matter what though, the irrefutable fact is, if you eat less calories than you burn, you will lose weight. But, if you ONLY operate in a caloric deficit, some of that weight loss will be muscle mass.

Overall fitness comes down to 80% diet, 20% exercise. You simply can not out work a bad diet. One has to compliment the other.
If you want anecdotal evidence, I am currently 51, 5'7" and 145 lbs (give or take). My body fat percentage is 15-17%. I eat clean, almost no processed foods and I shoot for 60% protein, 25% carbs and 15% fat for my macros on a 2700-3000 calorie per day diet. My eating plan is tailored for my workouts, and the only supplement I take is a protein shake mid morning. Those macros didn't happen by chance, I've adjusted them several times. But, I can emphatically say this: when I was at 80% protein and 10-10 for carbs and fat, I would crash during my workouts. My body couldn't convert fat to energy quickly enough and ironically, I GAINED body fat. I was eating my own muscle.

Point being, do what's best for you. Everyone's situation is different and you need to self-evaluate. Fitness is measured differently by different people. Hell, I tried a pure vegetarian diet but the problem I had was I simply could not eat enough. Some people can do that, I got sick of eating, it was almost a chore. It simply didn't work for me.

My advice is if you try for a significant weight loss, you need to get your blood tested regularly. Three years ago I embarked on a diet to lose about 25 lbs and ended up with a critical deficiency of sodium which caused hallucinations and other symptoms - ended up in an emergency stay in the hospital. They said I was about to die. The other element that can cause a lot of problems (lack of) is potassium. Both can be life threatening....

YES! This happens more so from people believing that they have to drink 3 gallons of water per day when they diet. DON'T!! Too much water will flush very important minerals from your system, and your body NEEDS those nutrients.

No, it's true. It's the laws of thermodynamics and conservation of energy.
Those who switch to a pure Keto diet do lose weight but it's not all fat, you lose muscle mass which is denser.
One of my mentors is currently going through college to become a physical rehabilitation therapist. She's privy to the raw data on the research done on the many different diets. As with most published studies, data can be interpreted differently, especially if some portions are discarded. No matter what though, the irrefutable fact is, if you eat less calories than you burn, you will lose weight. But, if you ONLY operate in a caloric deficit, some of that weight loss will be muscle mass.

Overall fitness comes down to 80% diet, 20% exercise. You simply can not out work a bad diet. One has to compliment the other.
If you want anecdotal evidence, I am currently 51, 5'7" and 145 lbs (give or take). My body fat percentage is 15-17%. I eat clean, almost no processed foods and I shoot for 60% protein, 25% carbs and 15% fat for my macros on a 2700-3000 calorie per day diet. My eating plan is tailored for my workouts, and the only supplement I take is a protein shake mid morning. Those macros didn't happen by chance, I've adjusted them several times. But, I can emphatically say this: when I was at 80% protein and 10-10 for carbs and fat, I would crash during my workouts. My body couldn't convert fat to energy quickly enough and ironically, I GAINED body fat. I was eating my own muscle.

Point being, do what's best for you. Everyone's situation is different and you need to self-evaluate. Fitness is measured differently by different people. Hell, I tried a pure vegetarian diet but the problem I had was I simply could not eat enough. Some people can do that, I got sick of eating, it was almost a chore. It simply didn't work for me.
I got to rethinking but was too lazy to go in and reply past that. It is indeed caloric deficiencies in the ways you are saying.

I wouldn't say I followed strict keto, I ate high protein and even higher fat foods but restricted carbs and zero sugar. Combined that with an at home workout routine it all worked. I'm a firm believer one wouldn't have worked without the other though.

I got to rethinking but was too lazy to go in and reply past that. It is indeed caloric deficiencies in the ways you are saying.

I wouldn't say I followed strict keto, I ate high protein and even higher fat foods but restricted carbs and zero sugar. Combined that with an at home workout routine it all worked. I'm a firm believer one wouldn't have worked without the other though.
Exactly. I think you made my point. You need to take a holistic view. Eat well and exercise. It works.
Those studies I mentioned cited so many variables that it would be easy to discard a segment because it didn't seem to factor in, but EVERYTHING factors in! You can extrapolate whatever you want out of them. Point: When people resolve to "lose weight", they generally change their diet AND activity. Well, you have to account for both or your results will be skewed. But, lots of the studies that are released only take into account the dietary change because that's what their focus is on.

I guess technically, you could say I'm on a Paleo plan but that's not exactly a diet per se', it's just not eating crap! LOL

The thing with keto for me is it gives a plan. I was on a strict keto diet for 6 months and lost 50 lbs. I then introduced exercise then lost an additional 20.

Now, I think about what I am eating more, read labels, try to eat whole foods, prep my lunches, etc. I am way more aware of what I eat. I don't "live" keto all the time, but I watch my carbs more.

If I eat bad one day, I make up for it the next and add a little more cardio to my workout. If I feel like I've gained weight, then I go back on a strict keto diet for 4-6 weeks.

I don't have a sweet tooth I prefer savory foods. That is good on keto because I don't have cravings like I did on any other diet I tried.

Low carb (<30g daily)focused diet for 6 days with my typical excercise regimen.

Time has proven to me that a pure calorie deficit doesn't create fat loss in my body - low carb works for me when all else fails.

eed5f5070f9f76bdeafd7cc3ef07c54d.jpg

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom