• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Let’s talk Keto

I went to a gluten free diet about 6 years ago. I went from 265 to under 200 lbs, just by this diet change. You have to be strict, and it costs more to buy gluten free, but I feel better and look better. Most restaurants have a gluten free menu nowadays. There are even gluten free pot pies, sausage, egg, and cheese biscuits (with bread made from cauliflower, pizza too) that taste really good. Probably 30 % or more of people have gluten problems and don't know it.

I did keto from July until November last year and lost 50 pounds in that 4 month time span. It works.

Well it was keto along with exercise. None the less you can't rely on just a diet for your physical health to change, you can lose all the weight you want but if your cardio and atleast core strength aren't there you're just as bad off.

Hows it going crippen crippen . Have you been able to stick with it so far?

I'm finally back on it for real now. I have tried many diets but keto diet is the only thing that really works well for me. My body bloats real quick. I'm down about 12 lbs so far. I am at the stage where my body is having to learn where to draw it's energy from. It's the roughest part in my opinion. Getting winded from doing little things is frustrating, but after a week or two like that you body learns to pull your energy from fat. That's when you really start to see results. My only gripe about keto is what ever your target weight is you need (at least for me) to get about 10 lbs under target weight because when you introduce carbs back into your diet you retain water again. I've been doing weights along with it and trying to run 2 miles 3 days a week, which I won't do when it's this cold outside. I can't seem to get rid of my love handles for anything, I'm hoping the running helps with that.

I’m a loser. I haven’t even tried yet

Well, it just so happens that meat is a great source of protein! I try to get 60% of my calories from protein, 25% from carbs and 15% from beneficial fats.

I'm doing my best to get the message out that it's not about weight loss, you have to start thinking in terms of fat loss. Almost everyone wants to lose fat! Not everyone wants to lose weight (body builders).
The only way to have your body tap into its stored energy reserves (fat) is to run out of digestive calories. That is, burn more calories than you ingest. That's it, no magic, no unsustainable diets, no dangerous pills or snake oil.

Yes, people lose weight on Keto. And they gain it back as soon as they start eating normally. The trick is to formulate an eating plan that you can live with now and, well, forever. Change your habits. Instead of cookies, reach for fruit. Fast food? Go for the grilled chicken and forget the fries. Like hamburgers? Make your own with fresh ground beef (or buffalo). Just go light on the mayo :)
Agreed but I plan on sticking to clean keto till I get where I want to be. Mostly grass fed beef and wild Salmon, coconut, avacodo, non starchy veggies. Once my weight is where I want it might switch to paleo and eat a wider variety of veggies but I'm hoping to never go back to eating a **** load of carbs and whole grains.

caloric deficiency is untrue, when I was doing keto I was still consuming close to 3000 calories a day and lost 50 pounds. I ate 3 meals and 2 snacks a day.
There have been studies where participants both eat the same amount of calories, one group on low fat, and the other on keto. The keto group loses twice the weight every time. So there's definitely more to it than calorie in calorie out.

It's true that the only possible way to burn fat is to be in a calorie deficit, but keto certainly does it more efficiently when you hit that deficit.

I’m a loser. I haven’t even tried yet

Go for it. You can do it. Last time I did the diet hard l lost 55 lbs in about 3 months. Once you set your mind to it its not to bad. Theres a lot of really good food on this diet as well. Just look at macros. A lot of meals you see advertised as keto will kill your carbs for the day in one serving. Hit 20 or less grams of white carbs per day and you're good to go.

My advice is if you try for a significant weight loss, you need to get your blood tested regularly. Three years ago I embarked on a diet to lose about 25 lbs and ended up with a critical deficiency of sodium which caused hallucinations and other symptoms - ended up in an emergency stay in the hospital. They said I was about to die. The other element that can cause a lot of problems (lack of) is potassium. Both can be life threatening....

I lost 55 pounds by running and not eating like ****. No special diet just used common sense and exercise. If you burn more than you take in the weight comes off and stays off. I eat Waffle House every day for breakfast and still lost weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go for it. You can do it. Last time I did the diet hard l lost 55 lbs in about 3 months. Once you set your mind to it its not to bad. Theres a lot of really good food on this diet as well. Just look at macros. A lot of meals you see advertised as keto will kill your carbs for the day in one serving. Hit 20 or less grams of white carbs per day and you're good to go.

I bought a half eaten bowl of banana pudding off my daughter last night for $5. I may need to open a rehab thread rather than a keto one. For the record there wasn’t any other banana pudding in the house.

Back
Top Bottom