• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Let’s talk Keto

Any diet with a name is BS. Just my $.02

Eat right, stay active, and don’t sit on ur butt or drink too much. It’s pretty easy.

I disagree, I lost 70 lbs, and have kept it off, for a couple years while on keto. I struggled with my weight for a number of years and keto seemed to be the only thing that worked for me.

Just my 2 pennies.

I disagree, I lost 70 lbs, and have kept it off, for a couple years while on keto. I struggled with my weight for a number of years and keto seemed to be the only thing that worked for me.

Just my 2 pennies.
I guess I’m speaking from the perspective of maintaining not losing. Loafty goals definitely require drastic action.

My wife is doing Keto and has lost right at 10 lbs in 3 weeks. Keto simply doesn't work for me. I only sleep around 3 hours a day, so without some sort of carbs I'm exhausted all the time. I have cut back on my sugar intake (no more fully leaded cokes and energy drinks), and upped my water intake, and cut back on my calories. I've lost about 6 lbs in 3 weeks. First time I've been under 220 in months. Goal is 180, so I have a ways to go.

Hows it going crippen crippen . Have you been able to stick with it so far?

I'm finally back on it for real now. I have tried many diets but keto diet is the only thing that really works well for me. My body bloats real quick. I'm down about 12 lbs so far. I am at the stage where my body is having to learn where to draw it's energy from. It's the roughest part in my opinion. Getting winded from doing little things is frustrating, but after a week or two like that you body learns to pull your energy from fat. That's when you really start to see results. My only gripe about keto is what ever your target weight is you need (at least for me) to get about 10 lbs under target weight because when you introduce carbs back into your diet you retain water again. I've been doing weights along with it and trying to run 2 miles 3 days a week, which I won't do when it's this cold outside. I can't seem to get rid of my love handles for anything, I'm hoping the running helps with that.

On January 2nd, I started intermittent fasting (only eat between 11am and 7pm), portion control, and cutting out sugar all-together. It has actually worked quite well for me, better energy, don't feel bloated, fewer headaches, and down about 18lbs...

CaloricDeficit1.jpg

One-more-time-calories-and-weight-loss.jpg

Can't argue with that, but one of the problems with losing weight, especially a lot of weight, is losing muscle along with it. Keto and intermittent fasting seems to be the best way to shred pounds without shredding muscle as well.

Plus I like having steaks several times a week.
Well, it just so happens that meat is a great source of protein! I try to get 60% of my calories from protein, 25% from carbs and 15% from beneficial fats.

I'm doing my best to get the message out that it's not about weight loss, you have to start thinking in terms of fat loss. Almost everyone wants to lose fat! Not everyone wants to lose weight (body builders).
The only way to have your body tap into its stored energy reserves (fat) is to run out of digestive calories. That is, burn more calories than you ingest. That's it, no magic, no unsustainable diets, no dangerous pills or snake oil.

Yes, people lose weight on Keto. And they gain it back as soon as they start eating normally. The trick is to formulate an eating plan that you can live with now and, well, forever. Change your habits. Instead of cookies, reach for fruit. Fast food? Go for the grilled chicken and forget the fries. Like hamburgers? Make your own with fresh ground beef (or buffalo). Just go light on the mayo :)

Yes, people lose weight on Keto. And they gain it back as soon as they start eating normally. The trick is to formulate an eating plan that you can live with now and, well, forever. Change your habits. Instead of cookies, reach for fruit. Fast food? Go for the grilled chicken and forget the fries. Like hamburgers? Make your own with fresh ground beef (or buffalo). Just go light on the mayo :)

Unless Keto becomes your normal.

Keto is a lot more akin to how Americans used to eat before sugar and high fructose corn syrup invaded the mainstream diet. Much higher fat content in the diet, less carbs.

American obesity rates exploded when the government started telling people to eat less fat and eat more grain, more high carb vegetables, and high sugar fruit. The food industry jumped right on board, taking fat out of everything, then substituting sugar and corn syrup to fix the poor taste appeal created by the missing fat content. Without the fat, everything became like potato chips: You always want more. It's the fat calories that signal the brain, "hey, got what I need, shut off the appetite."

I have 50 years experience as a junk food junkie. I'm on year four of Keto-like eating; not severe, but dramatically reduced sugar and carbs (about 40g a day). I don't think I'm constantly in Ketosis, but my body has gotten used to burning fat rather than glucose. My blood panels are all normal. I feel much better than "the donut days" of yesteryear.

This eating lifestyle dramatically improved my wife's health issues (arthritis and acid reflux).

My mother-in-law is a walking, talking Keto miracle. Before Keto, she was obese, had COPD, and her kidneys were on a fast track to failure. Now, a few years later? She's at a normal weight, her kidney function is normal for an octagenarian, and her health is dramatically improved in just about every measurable way.

I'll just say this: Whatever eating plan works for you to maintain a HEALTHY weight and allows you to have a good quality of life, USE IT!

90% of our health issues are self inflicted. You can blame the government or fast food joints or whatever but what it comes down to is your own personal choices. Obesity is an epidemic, and it's entirely controllable! It leads to and causes more diseases than anything else! I've seen people lose fat, drop hundreds of pounds and reverse heart disease and diabetes by eating a sustainable diet and being active!! Your MIL is an example. Keto didn't save her, dropping all of that fat saved her! Keto was a means to it and it worked for her (and many others).

I think one huge misnomer is "carbs are bad". No, not by a long shot. Certain types of carbs are not good but your body needs simple sugars to function. The best carbs are derived from fruits, nuts and veggies, NOT processed sugar foods. As a matter of fact, most all processed foods are bad. Carbs are important to fuel muscle function and I hit the gym 6 days a week for 90+ minutes a session. If I don't have carbs to burn, there's no way I can complete a workout without hitting the wall.

I say this: Develop a healthy eating plan that compliments your lifestyle and goals. If any one of those three factors change, adjust the other two. Then, re-evaluate, re-adjust, and restart. You are in control.

Back
Top Bottom