• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Let’s talk Keto

went to Dr friday and yes she started on the weight, 240 it was and began the talk about the diet. I told her NO I am 70 years old and gonna eat what I want. Some things will be cut out but aint like I have a long future ahead to look forward to. No Pizza? **** THAT!!!!! good luck to those losing weight and good health to all

I now try to not concentrate on how much I weigh, rather, how I feel and look.
Case in point, several months ago, I started a decent low carb diet. I didn’t follow any particular type of low carb diet, I just counted them and tried to stay under 35 for the day and I walked a lot. Less than 60 days later, I was down 33 lbs. I was happy with my new weight and how I looked, but I felt pretty sickly, so I started eating how I used to eat. (BTW, haven’t had caffeine in 7 years and haven’t had anything carbonated like a Coke in 9 years.)

About 2 weeks ago, I noticed I looked a bit “fluffy” so I started the low carb diet again. I hadn’t weighed myself in more than 2 months, so after 1 week of this latest low carb diet I stepped on the scale. I was only 2 lbs. heavier than I was at my lowest weight on my previous diet, which really surprised me, I was expecting that I had gained at least 25 lbs. back. Starting today, I’m going to try to stay under 25 carbs for the day and see how well I feel.

I now try to not concentrate on how much I weigh, rather, how I feel and look.
Case in point, several months ago, I started a decent low carb diet. I didn’t follow any particular type of low carb diet, I just counted them and tried to stay under 35 for the day and I walked a lot. Less than 60 days later, I was down 33 lbs. I was happy with my new weight and how I looked, but I felt pretty sickly, so I started eating how I used to eat. (BTW, haven’t had caffeine in 7 years and haven’t had anything carbonated like a Coke in 9 years.)

About 2 weeks ago, I noticed I looked a bit “fluffy” so I started the low carb diet again. I hadn’t weighed myself in more than 2 months, so after 1 week of this latest low carb diet I stepped on the scale. I was only 2 lbs. heavier than I was at my lowest weight on my previous diet, which really surprised me, I was expecting that I had gained at least 25 lbs. back. Starting today, I’m going to try to stay under 25 carbs for the day and see how well I feel.

I started off doing dirty keto, basically just cutting carbs out with no regards for whatever else I was eating. Shredded weight but still felt sluggish and like crap.

It wasn't till I switched to clean keto, and started really eating super clean (absolutely no seed oils!) that I started to get that good clean and energized feeling.

Took about 4 months of strict dieting to change how I felt. And once you get completely fat adapted on keto and fasting it's a complete game changer.

Good short video on the difference between Clean and Dirty keto

I started off doing dirty keto, basically just cutting carbs out with no regards for whatever else I was eating. Shredded weight but still felt sluggish and like crap.

It wasn't till I switched to clean keto, and started really eating super clean (absolutely no seed oils!) that I started to get that good clean and energized feeling.

Took about 4 months of strict dieting to change how I felt. And once you get completely fat adapted on keto and fasting it's a complete game changer.

Good short video on the difference between Clean and Dirty keto

Interesting video. I would describe my last diet as somewhere between dirty and lazy keto. There was however, a lot of things he mentioned in lazy keto that I never do. I guess I need to concentrate on clean keto.

I have lost and maintained 70 pounds lost on Keto. Tonight’s dinner was a chili smothered chopped steak with broccoli and 3 vodka sodas. It’s an easy transition with complete buy in and discipline. I don’t miss anything carb related as there are a multitude of recipes with menu items that match or exceed their carb laden counterparts.

to this day people still don't understand this post

Keto diets and pretty much every other diet is irrelevant. What helps you shed pounds are whats written in those big blue letters
To this day people don't understand that ketosis is more than a diet. You literally change your bodies machinery. You change how your body produces energy. Understanding what mitochondria is and how it works takes more than a simple chart.

Yes, ultimately fat loss comes from a calorie deficit, but the old saying that calorie is a calorie is a lie. I lie Coke-aCola (and others) has spent millions to keep everyone repeating.

To this day people don't understand that ketosis is more than a diet. You literally change your bodies machinery. You change how your body produces energy. Understanding what mitochondria is and how it works takes more than a simple chart.

Yes, ultimately fat loss comes from a calorie deficit, but the old saying that calorie is a calorie is a lie. I lie Coke-aCola (and others) has spent millions to keep everyone repeating.
Why do you care how you achieve weight loss? The differences between weight loss using ketosis and regular diet and exercise are negligible. I can post physique if you'd like so you can see my qualifications. Ive been doing this for 15 years and seen many fads come and go and ketosis is one of those things that gets a different name every generation. last time it was called atkins.

I do find it interesting how strongly you advocate for ketosis but partake in alcohol as do several people in this thread. The literal anthesis of the entire foundation of keto diet. Which also completely nullifies the process. But lets put a pin in that.

Just reading some.of your guys results from doing this fad diet just sounds like general weight loss that has nothing special attached to it. If youre obese or borderline obese at >35% body fat then losing 50-100lbs may seem "miraculous" but in reality you're losing retained water and general food waste in a vast majority. If you go from consuming 10k calories a day for most of your adult life to 4k then of course you're going to lose a significant amount of weight despite the fact that you're still above what your body actually needs to function from a normal standpoint.

Using ketosis as a credit for these results is a highlight of some fundamental misunderstandings about health and fitness. Yes it can be helpful but it has significant diminishing returns when you compare it to a standard 2000-3000 calorie diet until you get to the low 20s in body fat percentage. Ketosis is only really effective for those who are trying to achieve low teens body fat which from what ive read, none of you are close to that number at all so its an unneeded point in literally all of your regimes.

I also have read nothing that indicates to me that people know how to accurately count macros so without that game plan then yes a calorie is a calorie. It doesnt matter if its a protein or from a sugar for your purposes. Many of you have indicated that the amount of physical exercise you do is lacking so you use the diet exclusively. Which is fine. But this goes back to my point about how diminishing keto diets really are for a majority of people.

Further adding to that, nobody here has displayed much knowledge in how macros translate diet wise to your health. I suspect many of you who lost a ton of weight lost it simply by not eating carbs. I am also willing to bet none of you know how many calories are actually in one slice of bread (hint its not just the stated calories on the package)

Also. Many of you guys are literally not even on ketosis which is the biggest irony of this entire thread. I applaud many of you losing weight and gaining healthier habits. But KETO DIET is NOT why you lost the weight hahahahaha. It is literally because you guys stopped eating a literal metric TON of garbage DAILY. THATS how easy health and fitness can be.

Why do you care how you achieve weight loss? The differences between weight loss using ketosis and regular diet and exercise are negligible. I can post physique if you'd like so you can see my qualifications. Ive been doing this for 15 years and seen many fads come and go and ketosis is one of those things that gets a different name every generation. last time it was called atkins.

I do find it interesting how strongly you advocate for ketosis but partake in alcohol as do several people in this thread. The literal anthesis of the entire foundation of keto diet. Which also completely nullifies the process. But lets put a pin in that.

Just reading some.of your guys results from doing this fad diet just sounds like general weight loss that has nothing special attached to it. If youre obese or borderline obese at >35% body fat then losing 50-100lbs may seem "miraculous" but in reality you're losing retained water and general food waste in a vast majority. If you go from consuming 10k calories a day for most of your adult life to 4k then of course you're going to lose a significant amount of weight despite the fact that you're still above what your body actually needs to function from a normal standpoint.

Using ketosis as a credit for these results is a highlight of some fundamental misunderstandings about health and fitness. Yes it can be helpful but it has significant diminishing returns when you compare it to a standard 2000-3000 calorie diet until you get to the low 20s in body fat percentage. Ketosis is only really effective for those who are trying to achieve low teens body fat which from what ive read, none of you are close to that number at all so its an unneeded point in literally all of your regimes.

I also have read nothing that indicates to me that people know how to accurately count macros so without that game plan then yes a calorie is a calorie. It doesnt matter if its a protein or from a sugar for your purposes. Many of you have indicated that the amount of physical exercise you do is lacking so you use the diet exclusively. Which is fine. But this goes back to my point about how diminishing keto diets really are for a majority of people.

Further adding to that, nobody here has displayed much knowledge in how macros translate diet wise to your health. I suspect many of you who lost a ton of weight lost it simply by not eating carbs. I am also willing to bet none of you know how many calories are actually in one slice of bread (hint its not just the stated calories on the package)

Also. Many of you guys are literally not even on ketosis which is the biggest irony of this entire thread. I applaud many of you losing weight and gaining healthier habits. But KETO DIET is NOT why you lost the weight hahahahaha. It is literally because you guys stopped eating a literal metric TON of garbage DAILY. THATS how easy health and fitness can be.
I don’t argue with much of this post. from My own situation, I am past the need to lose large quantities of weight. I probably will end up dropping another 10-15 pounds but that is no longer a priority. My goal at this point is to remove sugar as entirely as possible from the diet as well as carbs and seed oils. This is more for metabolic health and to stave off Alzheimer’s than for the vanity or health aspects of weight loss alone. The key to restoring metabolic health is to restore the body’s sensitivity to insulin and reduce the need for it as much as possible. This is best accomplished by removing sugar and carbs from the diet. Exercise as well plays a critical role in this, I believe. While weight Loss from any means is advantageous to the individuals health a poor diet can leave you skinny and less healthy than you could be.
I am in a ketonic state about half the time at this point, I still eat some carbs such as brown rice, beans, legumes, nuts, which keeps me out of a constant state of ketosis, but still largely allows my body to move towards a better metabolic state.
your last statement sums up very well what needs to happen in America, we need to stop eating garbage.

Back
Top Bottom