• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Let’s see your home gyms

Do ya do any training now? Or have ya been training recently anywhere? What kind of training ya in to or want to get in to? Only Strength? Cardio? Endurance? Stamina? Balance? All of those and more? I too am in acworth. My set up is geared for what would best be coined combat strength training that merges all aspects I mentioned and more including pistol drills and dry fire training which explains the multiple targets in the pics you’ll see. I’ve come up with lots of my own routines and fitness training sessions for lots of functional/practical/tactical fitness training. Makes for fun workout sessions. I’ve also got some stuff out back I use with big tires, climbing ropes, hanging ladders, etc
I go to a gym when I’m at work in New Mexico. Looking at the Rogue RML-3W rack, an air bike and a Concept 2 rower plus the obvious free weights. Just working on ideas on how to make things fit cleanly in minimal space.

IMG_5094.jpg

Been at the gym most weeks 5 times for the last three years. Just been feeling a bit bored or stale by it all. Started doing these tues, wed, thurs nights at home, 40 mins at most, an then gym sat an sun just before dinner. They're great for core, mobility and cardio, which is how i use them tues and thurs (20 mins nonstop an I'm dying). I've been surprised about how brutal they can be, wed nights (40 mins but more rests, less sets) doing one handed briefcase style deadlifts an then front squats with the 60lb and rows. Enjoying them.

At one point I did a home gym. I bought tons of equipment, mostly used. I had a full dumbbell set up to 100lbs, hack squat machine, lat pull down, seated row, flat bench, incline bench, preacher curl, squat rack, treadmill and an elliptical. It was great for about 2 years then you out grow it. I ended up joining a gym, selling the equipment and turning that room into a reloading room. I’d recommend just joining a gym, unless you don’t have one close.

At one point I did a home gym. I bought tons of equipment, mostly used. I had a full dumbbell set up to 100lbs, hack squat machine, lat pull down, seated row, flat bench, incline bench, preacher curl, squat rack, treadmill and an elliptical. It was great for about 2 years then you out grow it. I ended up joining a gym, selling the equipment and turning that room into a reloading room. I’d recommend just joining a gym, unless you don’t have one close.

I guess it depends on your setup and workout routines. I have zero need or interest in ever joining a gym again and have been doing home gym way over 2 years. But everyone’s different. For some, a gym away from home works better. I’ll never step foot in one though. If I train outside my house gym (which I do), it’s at a park with a hill and stadiums and I bring some gear to mix up some stuff outdoors. To each their own. Options are good.plus I merge alot of fitness drills with firearm drills which are prolly frowned upon in you big box gym haha

View attachment 2510822
Been at the gym most weeks 5 times for the last three years. Just been feeling a bit bored or stale by it all. Started doing these tues, wed, thurs nights at home, 40 mins at most, an then gym sat an sun just before dinner. They're great for core, mobility and cardio, which is how i use them tues and thurs (20 mins nonstop an I'm dying). I've been surprised about how brutal they can be, wed nights (40 mins but more rests, less sets) doing one handed briefcase style deadlifts an then front squats with the 60lb and rows. Enjoying them.

yeah kettlebells can be brutal...in a good way. I’ve got several. My heaviest is 60lb but to me a 60lb kettle bell feels heavier than a dumbbell. Guess it’s the weight distribution. I really like slamball a for that reason. Just a big dead weight with no handles haha

I go to a gym when I’m at work in New Mexico. Looking at the Rogue RML-3W rack, an air bike and a Concept 2 rower plus the obvious free weights. Just working on ideas on how to make things fit cleanly in minimal space.

So many routes to take for a minimal set up. In my little opinion, If I only had one piece of equipment it would be a solid heavy bag because you can do soooooo much with just a bag. Not just strikes while it hangs which is great conditioning but aside from cardio,endurance, conditioning, and combatives training ya get from a bag while hanging, you can do variety of strength training drills with it...like a lot when ya take it down from hanging. I have come up with several solid routines I’ve never seen before but just had some creative juice flowing through me that will work every muscle group and full body conditioning. Ya want a bag that is not to heavy nor to light. I find a 100lb bag is a good size for the majority of what I do with em. YMMV. I see you are in acworth, as am I, feel free to stop by and I can show ya some great ideas. It’s not just having the gear, but knowing how to get the most out of it...kinda like your pistol!

yeah kettlebells can be brutal...in a good way. I’ve got several. My heaviest is 60lb but to me a 60lb kettle bell feels heavier than a dumbbell. Guess it’s the weight distribution. I really like slamball a for that reason. Just a big dead weight with no handles haha

It's pretty humbling. I lift a decent amount, an then all of a sudden I'm getting my butt kicked by these little in comparison k'bells.
For me the big win with exercising at home at least during the week is the time saved. Don't care about time as much on the weekend, but the four sessions during the week at the gym, 15 mins there, 15 back, thats 2 hours. Then k'bel sessions being much shorter most probably save another 1.5-2 hours. Used to fit gym into life 5.30am Mon an Thurs and 9.00pm Tues an Fri. Feel much more energised this way.

So many routes to take for a minimal set up. In my little opinion, If I only had one piece of equipment it would be a solid heavy bag because you can do soooooo much with just a bag. Not just strikes while it hangs which is great conditioning but aside from cardio,endurance, conditioning, and combatives training ya get from a bag while hanging, you can do variety of strength training drills with it...like a lot when ya take it down from hanging. I have come up with several solid routines I’ve never seen before but just had some creative juice flowing through me that will work every muscle group and full body conditioning. Ya want a bag that is not to heavy nor to light. I find a 100lb bag is a good size for the majority of what I do with em. YMMV. I see you are in acworth, as am I, feel free to stop by and I can show ya some great ideas. It’s not just having the gear, but knowing how to get the most out of it...kinda like your pistol!

Yeah man! I use mine the same way, that’s why I put paracord on it instead of chains. You can get a lot of ground work out of a heavy bag that way

Back
Top Bottom