• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Let’s play the “What is it?” game!

Quote:
...operates semi automatically by means of primer actuation. In this concept the primer sets back rearward upon firing to unlock the breech bolt. Fired 9mm spotting cases look rather peculiar because the 22 Hornet case backs out about 1/4 inch. This idea of primer actuation was conceived by John Garand...

That's amazing. I've never heard of anything like that system before.

When I first saw the sectional view of this cartridge and saw the little Hornet round inside the larger case, I thought that had to be an extremely expensive cartridge which precluded it from being an affordable training and practice round.

But, compared to the cost of an 83 mm rocket....

And the safety concerns about firing a weapon with a significant backblast on a training ground....

NOW it makes sense.

FCA000CD-F0D3-449E-8F24-5B9EEAA70141.jpeg

It's not rocket powered,
and it is firearm related.

Quote:
...operates semi automatically by means of primer actuation. In this concept the primer sets back rearward upon firing to unlock the breech bolt. Fired 9mm spotting cases look rather peculiar because the 22 Hornet case backs out about 1/4 inch. This idea of primer actuation was conceived by John Garand...

That's amazing. I've never heard of anything like that system before.

When I first saw the sectional view of this cartridge and saw the little Hornet round inside the larger case, I thought that had to be an extremely expensive cartridge which precluded it from being an affordable training and practice round.

But, compared to the cost of an 83 mm rocket....

And the safety concerns about firing a weapon with a significant backblast on a training ground....

NOW it makes sense.

It’s use is not training. Each rocket comes with a magazine loaded with several 9×51mm Mk 217 spotting round. They are ballistically matched to the rocket and serve to increase the gunner's first-round hit probability.

The design of the encapsulated tracer is such that it is only visible if you are directly behind it; you cannot see it from the sides or front. The gunner will fire one or more spotter rounds to make sure he’s on target, with his A-gunner spotting for him. Once he’s got the correct hold-off in the optic, he’ll switch to the rocket, and let ‘er fly.

It works very well. I’m not an expert on the system, but I OJT’ed as an 0351 Assaultman in the Reserves. I only got to fire 3 live rockets, but all 3 were hits. I wouldn’t have gotten hits without using the spotter rounds first.

Nope, these things don't go into the barrel of a gun,
nor are they less-lethal projectiles intended for taking down a suspect without killing him, nor are they for training purposes.

HINT: These are less "firearm related"
than they are firearms ammunition related. They use small arms ammunition, but they are not guns, nor are they ammunition themselves.

Nope, these things don't go into the barrel of a gun,
nor are they less-lethal projectiles intended for taking down a suspect without killing him, nor are they for training purposes.

HINT: These are less "firearm related"
than they are firearms ammunition related. They use small arms ammunition, but they are not guns, nor are they ammunition themselves.
I'm thinking like it's a power head/bang stick, but not that. The previous picture for the thing has a screw that acts like a firing pin. The fins on the thing is like for driving into a wall I guess for demolition. The firing pin looks like it's actuated by a drill. Seems what it is to me is something like that. I just don't have a name for the thing.

QUOTE:
"I'm thinking like it's a power head/bang stick..."

--------------------------------------------

BANG STICK? You're very close. I would say this is 95% the same product as a "shark stick" only different in a couple of ways, one of which is it wasn't meant for underwater use.

EDA4165F-18DC-4577-9A8A-71E9EF97A5B5.jpeg

Now, can you find the brand name or model of this specific item?
And what makes it go "bang?"

QUOTE:
"I'm thinking like it's a power head/bang stick..."

--------------------------------------------

BANG STICK? You're very close. I would say this is 95% the same product as a "shark stick" only different in a couple of ways, one of which is it wasn't meant for underwater use.

View attachment 3713800

Now, can you find the brand name or model of this specific item?
And what makes it go "bang?"
It's the Rac-Em-Bac Bow-Mag bullet tip. It's an arrow tip for archery where a .38 special/.357 round is inserted and the firing pin is screwed into the arrow shaft and tip. Upon the arrow striking the target, the firing pin hits the primer to give the arrow more knockdown. Pretty cool.
image_8819.jpg

Back
Top Bottom